Sponsored by:

Drivers seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Drivers seat problem

Hey guys. My driver's seat is 8 way power. When the Mrs. went to drive the car she tried to move the seat forward and it's only sliding on the left side. It's like the sliders are stuck on the inside. What's the best way to trouble shoot this? Also, is there a way to manually move the seat for and aft?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I only have the 4 way adjustable seats (manual fore/aft sliders), so I'm not an expert on the 8 way...

That said, one of my seat height adjustors is not working, (like your seat) only half the seat is moving. In my case, one of the cables has unclipped from the worm-gear that adjusts seat height. Maybe you're experiencing the same thing?

Here's a good DIY with pics: http://p-car.com/diy/seatshaft/
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drive cables for the seat adjustments are the same cable types as the convertible top. They may shorten over time like the convertible top cables? I pulled all of them out of my old seats when I upgraded to 993 seats. I sold a couple of them on eBay, but may have the ones you need in a box at home.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
... it's only sliding on the left side. It's like the sliders are stuck on the inside. What's the best way to trouble shoot this....
Thanks,
This may sound silly, but my seat freezes up every couple of months, Passenger, once, and always I've been able to free it by sitting in the seat and rocking around in circles like I was using a hula hoop. Not while pressing the switch though. give it a shot.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 AM
kenloen
Intermediate

sounds like something might be stuck in the inner slider. maybe a coin has fallen down and got lodged. either that or the winder cable for that slider has detatched somehow.

the seats can be manually moved via a + nylon adjuster at the front, but if the motors are taking the strain then this is isn't much use.

can the seat move backwards at all? the 8 way just means the seat base can be adjusted front and rear up/down, as well as the seat base to and fro..
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the seat stuck all the way back on one side?

This used to happen with my previous 964. It was as if the mechanism got too tight and the power of the motor didn't have enough torque to unlock it. The way I got around it was to unplug the drive cable from the motor and attach it to an electric screwdriver, and very carefully increased the torque until it came free (check the motor to work out which way you need to try and turn it). You do run the risk of damaging the drive cable, but it worked fine on mine the couple of times it happened.

Andrew
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM
user 783003
Banned

I checked in the garage and do have the motor and drive cable. One side goes back and forth with a gear directly attached to the motor. The other side uses a drive cable attached to the motor.

Let me know if you need these.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys! I will try the suggestions mentioned. The height adjusters are working fine. I tried raising the seat all the way up to see if that would help and no luck. The problem is where it is currently positioned, I can't get to the rear allen bolts to remove it. I will raise the front up and get in there with a light and make sure the cable just didn't pop off. The car was a DE rat for years so the stock drivers seat sat in the basement for 8 years until I put it back in the car last summer.

Alfred, thank you for the offer of the parts. If I end up needing them, I will PM you.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also disconnect one end or another of those drive cables, and use a cordless drill to spin them if you're in a pinch.

Quick Reply: Drivers seat problem