Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5w-50 Mobil 1 or 10w-60 Castrol ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you are trying to achieve. Your oil pump will not have any problem pumping a 60 hot viscosity index oil when hot.......it is thinner than cold oil on startup, even though the cold viscosity reads lower.

I don't know of any problem castrol 10W60 Edge (non-Sport) might have, as mentioned before it has a viscosity that matches hot operating temps, it has high enough ZDDP levels and it is suitable for prolonged use contrary to some pure racing oils and can be bought over the counter in most parts of the world.

I understand it must be confusing for you with all the different advise you´re getting. The ONLY downside a fresh out of the box W60 oil has compared to a W50 oil is that it absorbs slightly more power (2HP max) to drive the oil pump. The W60 gives higher oil pressure when warm, this is exactly what you are after.....the cold index of 10 is perfectly suited to cold start ups in warm climates as yours.

*edited to read Castrol Edge (non-Sport)

Last edited by evoderby; 05-17-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really thanks evoderby,

I will put 10w60, You know, that is a difficult thing but.. I think I will use that.

Another thing that I can't see clear, 5w50 Mobil 1, is as thick as 15w50 Mobil 1 at hot? It suppose yes because of the last number, but I read people who says that 20w50 is thicker at HOT than 15w50, so that is my guess..
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rarebear
in a hot climate I would use 10W60 but as I live in Holland, 10W40 works perfectly as long as you don't do track days.
I once visited Kuwait (by plane not by 911 hehe) and temperature was over 50 degrees centigrade, and wondered what an air/oil cooled engine would do at such high temperatures.
UAE is more or less the same as Kuwait, the cars actually do pretty well, the engine temperature of course is higher than winter but it doesnt really go past the halfway point. However, I think there is definitely a power loss when comparing driving in humid 45C compared to 20C!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Kuchar
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

In Poland is Castrol TWS 10W60, and i heard from BP Employee that is better than Castrol Edge 10w60, but another Castrol employee sad; forget about it ... Egde is good enough for your car.
Evoderby has rightly said that in your country, the climate is warmer. So You can try 10w60. I was using Castrol Edge last summer (30-40 C), and i have no problem with engine temp and pressure. Engine works normal - cold or hot, no problem. Just try
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Brad Penn 20W-50, last summer I drove the car in 38C temps with no problem at all, idle pressure just under 2 with oil temp just under 9; it would only go that high when driving in slow traffic, i.e. city; out on the road, the temp would be back down to 8 or less.
My guess is you have another problem.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

If you can find a 20W-50, I think your warning light problem will be solved. I believe there is no need for a 5W or 10W oil in our old cars. Gaps in wear areas are larger from the wear, so you don't need to pump thin oil into tight places when it's "cold" on startup, especially in the Islands. And even though the last number relates to hot viscosity, I think you'll find a really low first number will make the light come on. Try it and see.

I don't think they even made a 5W for general consumption when our cars were made. I don't remember seeing it on the shelf. I think it became necessary with our modern tight-tolerance engines(or vice versa /chicken and egg - the thinner oil allowed carmakers to make engines with tighter tolerances).

You should probably be more concerned with Zinc content if you're planning to keep the car long term. My understanding is that synthetics like Mobil 1 don't have the Zinc needed to protect the solid lifters, etc. I use Valoline Racing VR1, which has a high Zinc content. But most of the enthusiasts here who act the most knowledgeable swear by Brad Penn. I trust Valvoline because I've used it for 40 years and whenever I've torn engines down the insides are clean as a whistle.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

My mechanic said me not to use 20w50, because is mineral, What i'm looking is another alternative to 20w50, that could be, 10w60 or 15w50. But I want to be sure after changing the oil.

These days I was searching people with problems like mine and I found a lot's of them who solve it with 15w50 or 20w50, but what I want is to be sure.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 AM
evoderby
Pro

Originally Posted by Kuchar
In Poland is Castrol TWS 10W60, and i heard from BP Employee that is better than Castrol Edge 10w60, but another Castrol employee sad; forget about it ... Egde is good enough for your car.
Evoderby has rightly said that in your country, the climate is warmer. So You can try 10w60. I was using Castrol Edge last summer (30-40 C), and i have no problem with engine temp and pressure. Engine works normal - cold or hot, no problem. Just try
I don't know about Poland, but in most parts of the world Castrol TWS 10W60 has been rebranded as Castrol Edge 10W60. This is now the BMW M approved oil.

If you can still find TWS this is fine as well.

Please note that Castrol Edge SPORT 10W60 is a different oil, still good but not as good as the Edge 10W60.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Kuchar
Racer

I was using Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 sorry, my mental leap.
It was problem to buy TWS in 4 litres tank, you can only buy 1 litre or 60 litres barrel. 1 litre bottle was very expensive i am not exactly remember, but very. 60 litres barrel was to much.

So for my climate Mobil1 works better, that is all.

Mc. Queen maybe there is something wrong with Yours oil pressure sensor or connection. I have opposite problem, because my gauge shows more than maximum oil pressure. And wire was the problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Originally Posted by altarchsa
If you can find a 20W-50, I think your warning light problem will be solved. I believe there is no need for a 5W or 10W oil in our old cars. Gaps in wear areas are larger from the wear, so you don't need to pump thin oil into tight places when it's "cold" on startup, especially in the Islands. And even though the last number relates to hot viscosity, I think you'll find a really low first number will make the light come on. Try it and see.

I don't think they even made a 5W for general consumption when our cars were made. I don't remember seeing it on the shelf. I think it became necessary with our modern tight-tolerance engines(or vice versa /chicken and egg - the thinner oil allowed carmakers to make engines with tighter tolerances).

You should probably be more concerned with Zinc content if you're planning to keep the car long term. My understanding is that synthetics like Mobil 1 don't have the Zinc needed to protect the solid lifters, etc. I use Valoline Racing VR1, which has a high Zinc content. But most of the enthusiasts here who act the most knowledgeable swear by Brad Penn. I trust Valvoline because I've used it for 40 years and whenever I've torn engines down the insides are clean as a whistle.

So you think that 10w60 won't solve me the problem? 15w50 gets more oil pressure at hot than 10w60? It should be different, because w60 is higher.. so..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
evoderby
Pro

Oil is like religion, people tend to stick to their beliefs in fullest confiction inspite of insights provided by scientific data ;-)

A 15W50 won't increase oil pressure over a 10W60. Whether the difference is significant depends on how much the oils differ on the 50 vs. 60 viscosity scale to begin with. Higher end 50's = practicallly the same as lower end 60's. Your questioning now comes to a point where you should start looking at different oil data sheets to compare their respective viscosities @ 100degrees celsius.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Having said so viscosities claimed apply to new oils and say nothing about shear stability or longevity (i.e. how much use can an oil be put through before it starts degrading and losing its viscosity). In the old days non synthetic oils required a lot of additives to reach multigrade status with relatively low viscosity indexes (difference between lowest and highest viscosities). These additives did little for lubrication and lowered the oils shear stability thus needing frequent oil changes. 20W50 mineral oils are a good example of this.

Fully synthetic oils allow a much greater viscosity index (10W60 - 5W50 etc.) AND provide high levels of shear stability. Is a 20W50 full synth oil bad? No not necessarily, a 10W60 just has a bigger footprint when it comes to applications where it potentially fits and/or is required.

As I and others have said before viscosity is one part of the game, shear stability and ZDDP levels are important factors as well....

This is the last message I will post in this thread.....good luck making your choice!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Originally Posted by Kuchar
I was using Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 sorry, my mental leap.
It was problem to buy TWS in 4 litres tank, you can only buy 1 litre or 60 litres barrel. 1 litre bottle was very expensive i am not exactly remember, but very. 60 litres barrel was to much.

So for my climate Mobil1 works better, that is all.

Mc. Queen maybe there is something wrong with Yours oil pressure sensor or connection. I have opposite problem, because my gauge shows more than maximum oil pressure. And wire was the problem.
My oil pressure was changed 2 years ago, I leave the car in the porsche dealer, they are changing valve/spring relief's, and cheking oil pressure with the machine.

Regards, I will change oil after doing that. My mechanic said me not to use 20w60, but he think that 15w50 or 10w60 will be ok
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Originally Posted by evoderby
Oil is like religion, people tend to stick to their beliefs in fullest confiction inspite of insights provided by scientific data ;-)

A 15W50 won't increase oil pressure over a 10W60. Whether the difference is significant depends on how much the oils differ on the 50 vs. 60 viscosity scale to begin with. Higher end 50's = practicallly the same as lower end 60's. Your questioning now comes to a point where you should start looking at different oil data sheets to compare their respective viscosities @ 100degrees celsius.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Having said so viscosities claimed apply to new oils and say nothing about shear stability or longevity (i.e. how much use can an oil be put through before it starts degrading and losing its viscosity). In the old days non synthetic oils required a lot of additives to reach multigrade status with relatively low viscosity indexes (difference between lowest and highest viscosities). These additives did little for lubrication and lowered the oils shear stability thus needing frequent oil changes. 20W50 mineral oils are a good example of this.

Fully synthetic oils allow a much greater viscosity index (10W60 - 5W50 etc.) AND provide high levels of shear stability. Is a 20W50 full synth oil bad? No not necessarily, a 10W60 just has a bigger footprint when it comes to applications where it potentially fits.

As I and others have said before viscosity is one part of the game, shear stability and ZDDP levels are important factors as well....

This is the last message I will post in this thread.....good luck making your choice!

Really thanks for all, I will put 10w60 EDGE.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Kuchar
Racer

Investment in 12L of oil is not so high, so you can pour Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 and see how it will be exercised. Castrol is a good oil, so it wont hurt your flat six.

Quick Reply: 5w-50 Mobil 1 or 10w-60 Castrol ?