Sponsored by:

Clunk noise in right front

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk noise in right front

back story: I recently replaced my shocks and springs (Bilsteins and H&R greens); had an alignment. Car runs terrifically, much smoother (especially over bumps). But now I have an annoying light clunking noise in the right front, at slow speeds (might not be able to hear the noise at high speeds) and always from the vicinity of the right front-passenger door area. I've emptied the glove compartment (clunk is still there) and removed passenger door panel to see if a speaker was loose, etc.

I've removed RF wheel, nothing obviously loose or amiss. I'm scheduling a session with my mechanic next week but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem after replacing my shocks/springs with the same setup. My "clunk" was in the rear & turned out that I didn't have the large nut on top of the shock threaded down far enough.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had what sounds like the same problem on both sides of the front.

When I first brought the car to my wrench, he did not report that anything was loose or otherwise not the way it should be (he did say he made sure everything was tight), but amazingly, when I got the car back, it was nice and quite. But that only lasted for a few months and the noise returned.

I gave him another shot at it, and he recommended replacing the top mounts. Touch wood, but that seems to have done the trick. As Porsche things go, that was not all that expensive, and it did seem to get the job done.

Brian
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

alan: that's a good thought, but i checked all four shocks. All the nuts/bolts are tight and torqued to spec.

bgleduc: i'll ask my mechanic next week about the top mounts.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

My mechanic said to check that the top nuts on the shocks (the large one... 19mm) were at the same height. The right front -- from which the clunk appeared to be coming -- was different from the left by about 0.050 inch. I tightened up the nut just a wee bit, and the clunk has now disappeared.

Lesson learned: always look for the simple solutions FIRST.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Smile

R Curtis,

You beat me to it. I had the same issue with my left front. I torqued the nut down a 1/4 turn and the clunk dissapeared. Good catch, and satisfying too
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Same here. Had a couple of folks look at it. Finally put a wrench on the right front in my presence and, low and behold, tightened it down a bit and clunk gone.

Quick Reply: Clunk noise in right front