Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car has left me stranded in palm springs

Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1971 911T
i had a similar experience, and ended up getting towed about 70 miles from home. i think i posted it here but dont remember.

i had a spare relay, but that wasnt it.

dash warning lights flashing(christmas tree lights ?), engine hesitating and then badly bucking. then would just totally fail to start. it ended up being a bad coil.

2,000 miles previously a milder form had started to occur intermittently, which is why i had the spare relay. my car is very high mileage, 130K miles, but it's pulling good these days.
This sounds almost exactly like my problem! I'm going to look into this a bit more.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Well I tried replacing the primary coil. It didn't really change anything, The car drove fine for about 20 minutes, then the cutting out started. I limped the car home, it stalled at every stoplight. When I got back I tried changing out the relay and I noticed the same problem, every time the car would stumble it was accompanied by a clicking DME relay. Any other ideas? The coil I replaced was the most rearward coil.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad battery , bad alternator , bad clock solder ?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Richards
Bad solder joint on the socket that the relay plugs into?
Have you checked this?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would suggest pulling the distributor caps off and taking a look at the distributor belt. If I had to guess, the distributor belt has failed or at the very least has skipped a few teeth. If you don't have the vent tube update installed, this would be a good time to do it. The vent tube helps purge the ozone from the inside of the distributor. Good luck finding the problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim Richards
Have you checked this?
I wasn't really sure how to check this, I imagined I would have to tear the fuse box apart. Has anyone done this before?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I would suggest pulling the distributor caps off and taking a look at the distributor belt. If I had to guess, the distributor belt has failed or at the very least has skipped a few teeth. If you don't have the vent tube update installed, this would be a good time to do it. The vent tube helps purge the ozone from the inside of the distributor. Good luck finding the problem.
I think I will try this next. I would definitely check the solder connection on the socket for the DME relay but I'm not exactly sure how to do that... still waiting on a hint for that.

I just ruled out the AFM Wire Harness TSB, completed it just as instructed and let the car idle and the problem presented itself within a few minutes.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

i still thinks its in the ignition switch to relay, the relay depends on power which is given when you turn the key to the on position to close the circuit for the fuel and ignition, something is interupting that circuit and causing the car to shut off momentarily and this is supported by the clicking noise you hear. either the ignition switch is bad or you have a battery - charging problem. I think you should first take the battery and have it tested for its condition and then i would look at the dme plug area to see if its clean and looks secure, if all looks good i think the ignition switch is the culprit. the reason i say this is you keep mentioning the clicking noise after the car dies, this can only happen if there is voltage interuption in the circuit it has nothing to do with the fuel pump or ignition circuit.

you need to understand how a relay works, it just a powered switch . just like a starter will make the clicking noise a relay is the same if there in insufficent power or or bad conection.

you have a problem upstream of the relay, battery, altenater , igniton switch, wires and not down stream like the fuel or ignition components.

the relay clicking is you car trying to tell you something.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

try this first (it's free, simple and easy to do): Remove the negative battery cable and clean the cable to chassis GROUND. Cured a similar problem my car had.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
sturm
Racer

Any follow up?? Inquiring minds....

'93rsa 3.8
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

I haven't had any time to look at the Porsche, all my free time has gone into getting my M3 ready for NASA GTS this weekend at Willow Springs.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know its frustrating and am not making fun of the situation but I had a car strand me in Beaver Utah once...I wish I had been stuck in Palm Springs!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being stuck in "Beaver" can't be all bad, can it?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
hoboken56
Instructor

Default LOL

Originally Posted by KaiB
Being stuck in "Beaver" can't be all bad, can it?
Pulling in and out of "Beaver" is also pretty good...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have ever been to Beaver Utah you would never ask..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car has left me stranded in palm springs