Sponsored by:

Bilstein Strut / Eibach Spring Query

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
highfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Strut / Eibach Spring Query

Realised the MOT was up and so got a same day booking at Kwik Fit.

All OK except the front springs do not correctly relocate when you lower the vehicle from the ramp.

When raised the springs are shorter than the shocks and become detached at the top mount - this is OK. See picture below.

But when lowered back down the springs do not automatically relocate correctly in to the mount - they had to manually reseat them.

The struts are bilstein and the main and tender springs are Eibach - very stiff ! The white top mount is from Jaz - allows different size springs ???

I will get the car over to Tuthills but any clues on what can or should be done ?

The complete strut and spring package was fitted by JAZ Wembley for the previous owner, so I believe it to be 'OK' but need Tuthills to take a look.

For reference the specs. on the Jaz invoice are are :-

Bilstein Struts (no reference number to hand)

Eibach Main 180/60/40
Eibach Tender 50/60/20

JAZ also fitted a a set of used Special 60mm top spring mounts

Can anyone explain the Eibach numbering ?

What does the RS have as standard springs ?

Ian
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main and helper, 2 x springs on each strut?

Unusual set up on a 964, isnt it?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

964 3.8 had such a system as standard ! aftermarket KW (variant3 and clubsport) AND Bilstein PSS9 versions widely available.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
964 3.8 had such a system as standard ! aftermarket KW (variant3 and clubsport) AND Bilstein PSS9 versions widely available.
Well 3.8s are rather rare, so replace rare with unusual

But on Bilsteins and Eibachs?, you dont get 2 springs on the usual Bilstein H&R combo, and you dont get helper springs if you buy a set of Eibachs

So I'd say its a relatively unusual set up
Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
highfield
Intermediate

Setup was on the car when I got it - it does handle very well albeit a little too stiff to be ideal on our UK 'B' roads

I had read up on Helper springs and think they may be the answer - Eibach do them in their catalogue.

Got the wheel off this afternoon and I am able to compress the spring slightly by hand and push it and and 'catch' it under the top mount if I want to. The Helper would prevent this ?

I confirmed the spring specs. to be as above post, and the struts / dampers are Bilstein HD for 964 C2 reference F4-VE3-5277-H1

It could be the springs are too short or they need Helpers - will talk to Tuthill etc. and let you know.

They are of course fine when the car is on the ground !

Iain
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Unkle
Pro

They aren't the same springs as i fitted this year. Mine are Eibach and Bilstein and no helper and the eibach spring is progressive.. I can fully raise the car without any movement or dislodged spring. TBH the helper spring is designed for that specific purpose as its usually to weak to act on the corner weight, so its only use is to expand and take up that slack/space when jacked, i understand.

My suspension
Old 04-10-2011, 02:42 PM
highfield
Intermediate

Thanks Unkle - I see you have Progressive Eibachs

This combo is used a lot 'down under' and certainly handled superbly around Spa, but it is very firm.

Will update when I get back from Tuthills later this week.

Ian
Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
highfield
Intermediate

Here's a link to the Eibach site where they discuss this setup.

http://performance-suspension.eibach..._spring_system

I may just need the Helper springs in addition to my existing Main and Tender.

Ian
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM
highfield
Intermediate

Spoke to Paul at Tuthills and Steve at Jaz today.

Paul had not been able to speak to the right person at Eibach in Leicester, and so we are going to try again on Monday.

I spoke to Steve as he had originally installed the suspension and in fact done the other work and had the car repainted - he is a real enthusiast and currently has a number of requests in to build RS reps ! Rich he mentioede your car is even stiffer.

Steve recalls fitting RS arms to the front (I need to verify) but he was not happy at having to sit the car so low on the street, but Hamish had wanted it this way, as to be honest it is a brilliant car like this on the track. Steve said we should just be able to fit a longer Eibach spring with the same rating (40 Nm) to achieve the desired RS ride height. Tuthill will also investigate the tie rad angle etc. etc. so we should be back on the road at circa RS height next week. Will photo when done.

Ian

p.s. there is also a nice write up by John Glynn in 911PW mag this month on the car (and me).
Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 AM
highfield
Intermediate

We have so far drawn a blank in trying to get the correct spring combo from Eibach - Eibach tech help line not very helpful !

I am going to collect the car from Tuthills and continue to research the correct springs and then get it back to Tuthills to fit, along with my RS brakes I have in the garage.

So the question is :-

Does anyone here run the Bilstein / Eibach ERS Spring setup, and if so, what Eibach springs do you use ?

As an aside, I may talk to FVD as they sell Bilstein Sports with Eibach spring pairs in their Motorsport section of their website.

Ian

Quick Reply: Bilstein Strut / Eibach Spring Query