Sponsored by:

What a disappointment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
windblown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What a disappointment...

Just wanted to thank all the fellow rennlisters that tried to go behind my back after months of searching for a chinlip spoiler for my car. (sarcasm intended)
I finally had someone offer one up and so many people pm'ed him trying to get it after he offered it to me that he is now going to keep it as a spare. Don't get me wrong... it is fine that he is going to keep it for himself but it is totally bogus that so many people tried to get this part from me behind my back after I put the effort into trying to find it. Shame on you if you were one of the backstabbers and I apologize about this rant if you were not.

Just because you have the taste for a classy car does not mean you have class...

so anyhow... still looking for the OE chinlip spoiler for a 965 if anyone has a line on one.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 AM
mdowell
Intermediate

So he offers it to you, then renege's on the offer and you are angry at random people?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/renege
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

mdowell,

Your point is maybe 1/2 a point at best. Had no one jumped on this guy's deal, the seller would have probably followed through on his commitment to sell. I'm sure the OP is unhappy with the seller, but his point is he's really unhappy with the others who climbed on behind the scenes. There is honor among us here on this board, and "Windblown" is simply venting his frustration regarding the likely culprit(s) to this busted deal.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 AM
windblown
Instructor

Oh, I am not happy about my prospect taking the offer away but at least he was upfront about it. It is not the "random people" that I am upset with, I am actually very specific about who I am disappointed with; the people who PM for the parts that were offered to me and try to take them. I do appreciate your attempt at a language lesson for me mdowell, but I believe an etiquette lesson for a few anonymous folk would be more appropriate.

... and yes Christallon it is an honor thing for sure.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a user is complaining?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
mdowell
Intermediate

I can't disagree with any of your points, maybe it's just me but I would save my anger for the dude that pulled out. He's got to expect multiple buyers and stick with his commitment. He's the one showing lack of respect to you and the community.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I read your OP. Did you PM the seller and state that you would "take it AT ANY PRICE"?

Unfortunately, just a statement that you PM'd someone would not (IMHO) infer a sale. Just because others PM'd should NOT upset you!

Maybe you wouldn't take it because of the price.
Maybe you wouldn't take it because of the color.
Maybe you wouldn't take it because of the condition.
Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe.......

If any of those ended up being a reason that you backed out... WTF is wrong with another RL'er getting in line for the item?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
rarebear
Racer

trusting people can become an expensive habit !!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if someone posted a part for sale on the board, it's fair game. If you have been searching for 5 mins, or 5 yrs it's still fair game. If the sale was a best offer thing, then it's up to the seller to decide what's fair and reasonable. Without all the details, it's really not fair to raise a stink over it here.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the problem here is that some of this engagment was undertaken in a public forum. As soon as the part is mentioned. listed in public - I think "honour" get tested pretty quickly.

I don't know the details - but if you asked publicly for a hard to find part and someone responded publicly on this forum - it's a strong test of character for others not to jump in and say "oh, I'll take that!".

So maybe the lesson learned is - if you publicly ask for a part - make it CLEAR in your post - "REPLY TO ME PRIVATELY if you have this part"

That way a public bidding war does not ensue.

Just a thought.

I think if you're going to offer up a part publicly - you should honour that offer unless the price cannot be agreed upon. Reneging on the offer even if the price IS met - is dishourable for sure. IMHO.

RK
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with RK.

My response was based on the assumption that the deal was done, and due to others posting up later, the seller got cold feet, and decided to keep it, now knowing it was more valuable than previously known. I may have made an assumption based on limited facts.....hmmmmm...what are the facts?

BTW; Rally Guy, what is the build date of your 91? Our cars look similar.... Mine is an August 90 car.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 PM
windblown
Instructor

I responded back to the seller immediately with my direct contact # and email to finish the deal, In the defense of the seller he did say "maybe" he could help me out... that is why I'm not that upset about that; for all I knew he may have wanted $10,000 for it. I did not hear back so I sent a few messages over the next few days. When I received a reply back the offer was taken back because he found that it was more valuable than he realized; that is totally acceptable I think. I don't think it is a big deal to get in line for a part that is offered but to cut in line and try to do it secretly is what saddens me.
For the record this part was offered directly to me on a post that I started in order to obtain parts for my Porsche. There is not a single post after this part was offered saying "next" or "if you don't take it I will" Am I complaining? Maybe a little but my intention was not to exacerbate my situation; I was only wanting to vent to fellow enthusiast that hold like values of being forthright and honorable as I try to be.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all honorable things. Sometimes, though, lack of detail in a venting post is more harmful because people now have to fill in the blanks themselves. We try not to, but I'm sure there are some that might assume the worst until proven otherwise.

forums are great knowledge holders, but they are also bad communicators. People can see your facial expressions, or hear the tone of your voice. So, my rule is to try to be blatantly honest and blunt about important things. There's little room for interpretation then.

sorry it didn't work out for you on the part, and sorry that you had to see a less desirable side to what is otherwise a great resource.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Just let us know who the culprit(s) was(were). I know some guys down by the docks who can take care of such problems with some focused "advice".

Seriously, sorry your search has been disrupted. Keep going - the search for these rare parts is sometimes 2/3'rds the fun. You can meet some interesting people in the process. This is the case in my search for parts and information on my 77-year old Packard, from the year of lowest Packard production ever. Sometimes interesting, sometimes frustrating, always challenging.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
windblown
Instructor

Thanks Hawk911
This is certainly not my usual and my communication of detail was a little lacking leaving plenty of space for people to fill in the blanks. I will be more careful in the future as I slowly transform from a newbie participant to hopefully a respected (or at least tolerated) member.

DWS964,
Thanks for the offer of the dock workers but even more so for the encouragement. I agree that the search is a big part of the fun and I will push on. I thank you all for your tips and instruction.

Rally Guy,
Lesson learned, and I will be more cautious and specific in the future.

Quick Reply: What a disappointment...