Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequency crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Unkle. The front speakers are indeed specified as co-axial "full -range" speakers, so I'll give it a go.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup - that's actually "sound" advice! ; )

Unkle - what's the scoop with the Rainbows??

RK
Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I just did the job which didn't take long - loosened door panels, disconnected the wires from the Porsche X-over and connected directly on to the Sony speakers and it sounds 100% better. Many thanks for your help and sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Looks like I've learned something today!
Thanks again.
Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Dave happy to help, i am learning too

@Rallyguy
Still waiting for a response, I have ordered some 12 AWG cable, heat shrink tubing and i have a fuse holder ready. The least i can do while i wait is strip everything out, which i finished tonight. I will sort the head unit so it gets solid power and a good earth.

I have taken up the kind offer from Superuser to get the crossovers from his MB quart speaker set up he has (thanks again) I am interested to hear how it sounds as a contrast to the original crossovers even if the slopes aren't perfectly matched to the Rainbow. This will give me a good idea of the system and whether they work substantially better than with the Porsche orignal crossovers. Either way i will update with what i find out
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Unkle
Pro

Springer posted this some time ago and after finding it again i thought i would add it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...964-doors.html

Springer wrote:
I did check the Porsche and Infinity crossovers side-by-side to see what they do. Here are the results:

Porsche crossover unit:
Tweeter output is down 3 dB (half power) at 2200 Hz
Low range output is down 3 dB at 6000 Hz

Infinity unit:
Tweeter output is down 3 dB (half power) at 5200 Hz
Low range output is down 3 dB at 4600 Hz

Not sure whether its possible to tell whether the speakers i have are a mismatch to the original crossovers with the specs taken from the Rainbow site. Certainly looks to me like the numbers don't match and this may be why the sound is off, i assume its all down to the slopes and this may be effecting the sound, but its hard to tell what it all means...

The Rainbow speaker data:
Sensitivity / Wirkungsgrad: 90 dB 1W/1m
Frequency response / Übertragungsbereich: 60 - 21.000 Hz
Impedance / Impedanz: 4 Ohm
Slope / Flankensteilheit: 2 x 12 dB/Okt. .
Crossover frequency / Übernahmefrequenz: 4.200 Hz
Tweeter attenuation / Hochtonabsenkung: 2x

Last edited by Unkle; 04-07-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 AM
windblown
Instructor

X2 on what Unkle said; the crossovers are passive. The factory crossovers can and should be deleted if using an aftermarket full range speaker system. Compare the factory Porsche crossover to a what you can buy now after 20 years of technology; you will be amazed at the difference even at the lower end of the spectrum.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Unkle
Pro

Just an update. I fitted a pair of Infinity crossovers from a friend in the trade which are similar to the crossover supplied wih the set of components i should have had. Its like i fitted a completely different sound system. The car Audio much better, with my Becker headunit (not a bad bit of kit) i had to set the treble to -2 and bass to +5 before, now a standard set up of 0, 0 is perfect.

Thank you to the offer SuperUser.

Thanks all for your help.

Quick Reply: Frequency crossovers