Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein shock/strut adjustment..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein shock/strut adjustment..?

OK fellas...you've talked me into it...lower the car...H&R and Bilstein B6 HD's. I've been itching to get rid of the aftermarket wheels & ordered a set of 17" C2's and figured while I'm at it to also replace the springs/shocks.

I just got the Bilsteins & was curious about any adjustments that need made to the shocks or is I just install out of the box. I did notice plastic spring carriers that will thread onto the rears but no indication as to where on the threads to place it since there are 2 or so inches of thread. The front struts also have adjustment?

I searched the forum but no results and since I'll be starting the project this week any info would be peachy.

Thanks much
AP
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread adjustment that might look like a height adjustment for a coil over?

It is a balance adjustment to balance the 4 corners of the car. I would make them neutrual and balance the car and where they are is where they are.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this r/r. I simply set the spring height the same as the ones I took off. Surprisingly, this turned out almost perfectly according to the Porsche mechanic I took the car to afterwards for alignment and to set the ride height. He made one turn (lower) on the front and everything was as he said it should be. Measure either with a tape measure or count the threads (which is what I did) when you remove the old shocks. Then set the new ones to that height. This lowered the front of my car 1.375 inches and the rears 0.875 (measured from the floor to the fender lip). Note that new Bilstein HDs do NOT need a new rubber bump stop (the bump stops are internal with Bilsteins).
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool....thanks Richard

Quick Reply: Bilstein shock/strut adjustment..?