Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Centre Light Moisture

Hi

Though I would share:

My rear centre light was replaced only a couple of years ago due to cracking and going pink, its still in near new condition but its now starting to mist up occasionally and seemed to remain so for longer and longer. Long term I was worried about corrosion of the light connections so I had a look.

I noticed that every vent tube was in place along with good condition seals, but the metal heat shield under the light looked worn, on closer inspection some areas had small pin ****** and wear that had punctured the thin foil covering. Not a big problem in itself but after touching the heat shield in those areas I noticed it was damp where the inner padding was slightly exposed. So I decided to see the extent of the water penetration into the padding.

It resulted in it all needing to come out as the inner padding is a soft fibre that absorbs water and it was pretty wet all over. I left the base plate in place and allowed to dry for a couple of days as it is secured from inside the bumper area and not easily accessible, and bought some heat proof mat.

The old foil top layer (very weak and easy to damage) protecting the fibre inner padding that was wet

Cut to shape and folded over with the foil facing down and up and now in its place with foil tape to seal the edges. The heat proof mat is flexible and easy to cut, so 20 mins later it was all done.

Hopfully this will sort the misting on the light, and as a secondary effect it may also help to prevent the rear lens cracking a little (if heat plays a part) as the matting is heat proof to 1000F and 500F direct heat.

The heat proof mat is £10 so a small price to protect the rear lens

Anyway I hope this helps someone who may have the same issue developing
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Good job

Ive had my light sout a number of times, but I dodnt know there was an absorbant material under the thin alloy

Something else to have a look at
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew it existed either!

P.s. Where did you get the insulation material from?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Unkle
Pro

Same here, until i started poking and prodding!

Link
Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

J.C. Whitney sells a similar heat/sound insulation. http://www.jcwhitney.com/heat/sound-...wx?filterid=j1

Quick Reply: Rear Centre Light Moisture