Sponsored by:

Engine oil overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM
bepece
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil overfilled

I picked up my first 964, 1993 C2 Cab a fee days ago. The owner said they overfilled the oil and was told by their mechanic they may have damaged seals, rings or maybe the oil just fouled the plugs. It wants to start, but appears to not get spark. First off, I am looking it over real well then changing the spark plugs. Since the car hasn't been run in a while, any things I need to take note of? Of course, I will drain and refill the oil as part of this, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I should be aware of as I start the process.
Thanks in advance, I look forward to spending lots of time here.
Brian
Old 03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
campoj2
Racer

There are probably tons of threads about overfilling the oil, search and be prepared to do a lot of reading. My first 964 I bought was car that sat, as a result of not running numerous seals dried up and rotted away, long story short, a possible engine rebuild may be in the not to distant future. Are you leaking oil? Who overfilled the oil tank and by how much?

I would also research how to change the oil on a 964, it's not as easy as some would think.

Are there any issues with the top? Up & down with no issues? Make sure it works the its suppose to, cab top repairs can get expensive.

Where are you located? There are Rennlisters all over, someone may be right around the corner and could help you out. I've got 3 in my neighborhood.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
bepece
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, I am worried about the seals a bit, however I won't know for sure until I get it running. There is not too much oil under and around the engine so far, so I am hopeful. The cab top works fine, it dies need replacing, as there are sone cuts in the sides. I have done a lot of searching, I just figure with the fact it was sitting and overfilled before, there may be something more specific to watch for or do. I have pulled the plugs in the passenger side, they are black and oily looking, so that may be the reason for no fire. At what I paid, I would still be way ahead of I had to rebuild, I figured that as worst case in my cost. I am in Raleigh NC.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
campoj2
Racer

There are some peeps down in Raleigh - link up with them and they may be able to help out.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest it would be better to drain the oil and start over so you know what you have. Change the filter, also. Once all the oil is drained (from the tank and the sump), start refilling with only 7 quarts, get the engine HOT (oil temp gauge needle should rise above the third mark - around 8 o'clock - and then drop back to just below the third mark. This signals that the oil thermostat has opened.) and check oil level with dipstick. Ultimately, you want the oil LEVEL gauge needle to be around the 3 o'clock position.

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 03-14-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Changled Oil TEMP to oil "LEVEL". My bad.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
Ultimately, you want the oil temp gauge needle to be around the 3 o'clock position.

??????????????????????
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

This took me 6 mths to learn ...

- start car
- watch temp hit 194F and thermostat open
- watch temp drop to 122F
- watch temp rise for the second time
- watch temp hit 9pm - about 220F
- check oil level

Takes a good 15-20 mins to get to the correct temp to check oil level.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crg53
??????????????????????
Obviously, I meant oil LEVEL. Thanks for the catch.

Quick Reply: Engine oil overfilled