Sponsored by:

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
nickv
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue

Greetings. I have a 1990 964 C2 Coupe. I replaced the rear speakers using the existing speaker wire. Not sure if there is a correlation, but on occasion when backing out of the garage the car would stall and I would hear a loud pop from the rear speakers and the radio would die. Would restart, drive with no problem but would smell an electrical burning smell which quickly went away. Recently, I noticed when I parked at work and went to lock the door, the lock wouldn't function and I would hear a buzzing noise. Would get back in the car, start it, turn it off, get out and then the lock would work. This has happened a few times. Then a week ago I went to the bank, came out, unlocked the car and it wouldn't start, nothing. Was close to home so I went to lock it up and nothing, the locks wouldn't function. Walked home, got my truck, came back, and voila, the locked worked, I started it up and got home. Its been sitting every since. Any ideas on how to find what appears to be a short somewhere??
Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM
campoj2
Racer

Did you do any other electrical modifications to the car? Radio/amp install? Where exactly is the burning electrical smell coming from? Where is the buzzing noise coming from? When it doesn't start does it crank or is it dead? I'm assuming when you say nothing - it means dead...

If you take the speaker replacement issue out of the mix - I'm thinking:

Low/weak battery or battery connection issue
Alarm malfunction
DME?

When was the last time you did an electrical tuneup?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Weak battery
Corroded positive or negative battery cables

Inadequate power might cause the audio amp to cut out (pop), then the engine to die, failure of locking system, etc.

Sometimes corroded cables will result in a failure to start right after running, but a full shot of power when the switch is turned after sitting will connect the circuit for another successful start up.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I would focus on the hot/burning smell to track down this problem. Assuming you smell it in the cabin, try to see if it comes from the front/dash or rear. If it's from the dash area it could be a loose connection going to ground on/near the radio which would account for the "pop" and the radio going dead temporarily.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 AM
nickv
3rd Gear

Thanks all. I have not done any electrical mods. Battery fairly new and all connections super clean. I did pull the fuse box cover off and noticed a red lead with a flat prong laying loose. Not sure what it goes to so I left if alone loose. Car starts, radio works, lights, flashers, etc. Tried everything and everything seems to work. There is a power amp under the seat that was there when I got the car. Will check to see if it has power. Thanks for all the feedback. Sadly, I love to drive them but all thumbs when it comes to mechanics. Never know if I am getting hosed when i take it in. Thus far have stuck with the dealer.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 AM
nickv
3rd Gear

CAmpo, bussing noise comes from the locking mechanism. When I put the key in and turn it to lock the car it buzzes. When it doesn't start ( and this happened only once) it is totally dead and this coincides with the locking mechanism being totally dead (no buzz). Its as though for some reason there is absolutely no power anywhere in the car. Then for no reason at all later on it will fire up and run like a champ, all systems go. I am afraid to take it out because I don't want to get stuck somewhere. Based on all the symptons, sounded like some sort of short somewhere.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue