Sponsored by:

Oil cooler options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:48 AM
pwengland
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler options

just starting the slippery slope of planning to turn my 91 C2 into a part time track weapon. Not planning anything too radical, just RS approach, I.e fairly standard engine and focus on removing weight and improving handling. The car will be used at Sepang F1 circuit in Malaysia so we are talking seriously HOT track temperatures. The standard cooling solution is very unlikely to be able to cope so just seeking views on options of adding a second cooler or something aftermarket... Any views ?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I've had no cooling issues on the track in 40+ degree C sunny days but low humidity.

Maybe the humidity of malaysia makes all the difference.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by pwengland
just starting the slippery slope of planning to turn my 91 C2 into a part time track weapon. Not planning anything too radical, just RS approach, I.e fairly standard engine and focus on removing weight and improving handling. The car will be used at Sepang F1 circuit in Malaysia so we are talking seriously HOT track temperatures. The standard cooling solution is very unlikely to be able to cope so just seeking views on options of adding a second cooler or something aftermarket... Any views ?
You'll want to add a cooler to the drivers sde that mirrors the on on the passenger side. There are 2 versions that look oretty much the same, one is for cars that reatian AC the other for cars w/o AC

here's mine( a Setrab I'd have to look up the #) w/ AC, the hoses from the other side go into the 2 I/O ports at the front of the cooler. Alternately you can put a stock cooler there but the plumbing is harder because the I/O ports are on top and harder to get too.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Bill Said - for use on the track you must have a second oil cooler or your temps will easily reach the 10:00 position which is too hot. You really want the temps to stay around the 9-9:30 position wich is around 220 degrees F.

I have a setup just like Bill's, but used the largest Mocal cooler that could fit in the space. I have some pics located at the following url you can take a look at. I had a smaller mocal originally fitted (left over from my 993 setup) but it didn't provide enough cooling, so replaced with a larger Mocal and the cooling is much better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...YgB&feat=email

-Skip
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 AM
pwengland
Advanced

Guys, thanks as always for the very helpful replys.. Am putting together my shopping list so one more thing to add !

Quick Reply: Oil cooler options