Leather seats or not, how to tell by looking

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
hans57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather seats or not, how to tell by looking

Hello all,

I have a '91 964 C2 Cab in which I want to recover the front seats in the original German material, but I cannot tell if it is leather or vinyl. I think they are listed as 'comfort seats' per the code, and they are non-perforated. I looked up my codes and one number refers to leather but it sounded like back seats only.
Is there a good way to tell by looking or feeling? These seats were re-colored at one point and to me the material, whatever it is, feels hard to the touch.
Can anyone recommend someone in Ohio that can recover these seats in the correct material?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove one of the triangular plastic pieces at the lower edges on the seat back - two screws hold them on and then they slide off - very easy. Once off, you should be able to see the back of the fabric where it is folded over - just lift it up a tad.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My coupe has vinyl seats and they are perforated. My cab's seats are leather and they are not perforated. I would think that may be your most obvious clue.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

I would still check. Most leather seats I see on period Porsches are perforated leather; actually, yet to see one that isn't unless re-covered that way. Was it optional in the USA? Not sure if vinyl options were also perforated?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a full leather car, orignial, with Perforated inserts.

And I looked at a car the other day that was leatherette and it was not perfed. No idea if it was original or not.

I am pretty sure the comfort seat vs the sport is just in the back, and it is how much side support there is. There is only about a inch difference in the two so it is hard tell the difference just looking at them unless you know what you are looking for.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
hans57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I guess i really need to check the back of the material as noted in a previous post. What would the differences be on the back side?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

One looks like suede and the other like...well, vinyl Think it has a fabric weave on the back.

Quick Reply: Leather seats or not, how to tell by looking