Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have my 964- safe and sound! Thanks for all of your help in choosing this car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
danwink
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have my 964- safe and sound! Thanks for all of your help in choosing this car!!

For those of you that assisted me with my litany of questions, thank you!

I picked her up last weekend in Sacramento and successfully (almost!) made it back to Las Vegas. The tires were old and the PO tried to install new ones for me, but he had chosen all season radials with a 500+ treadwear so he knocked $500 off the price and I agreed to buy my own. During the PPI, they looked ok, and we thought the drive would be fine. About 50 miles from Vegas- the drivers rear blew out- so it was a bit of an event but managed to get the spare on and make it home. I have since installed some proper tires (Hankook Ventus- 140 treadwear) and the car is fantastic.

It is a 1992 Guards Red with the turbo body, 41k original miles.

The full album

https://picasaweb.google.com/danwink...eat=directlink

Last edited by danwink; 02-28-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Bad Links
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Is this your first 911?

I have a friend that's considering a 964 and it's funny to hear him talk about all of the odd things that potential/new owners experience that I totally forgot about or just got used to. Stuff like the key on the left, upright windshield, hinged/offset pedals, rush of power above 4K, weird seeing the ground right in front of you, etc..
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your oil is overfilled. Hopefully you'll burn some off soon.

Try to keep it in the red or at least below horizontal when hot.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Beautiful car!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by sml
Your oil is overfilled. Hopefully you'll burn some off soon.

Try to keep it in the red or at least below horizontal when hot.
Ugh.... I was wondering the same thing. I check it on every change, and it is right at the top (totally full).

Should I drain it and refill? Is this a big issue with 964's?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by Regulatori

I have a friend that's considering a 964 and it's funny to hear him talk about all of the odd things that potential/new owners experience that I totally forgot about or just got used to. Stuff like the key on the left, upright windshield, hinged/offset pedals, rush of power above 4K, weird seeing the ground right in front of you, etc..
Yes, it is my first, although I have been focused on one for 10 years or so.

Lots of unique things- the wipers, the key, the locks, the engine in the trunk , the hidden sunroof switch, the hidden switch for the left/right mirror, the heater melting the skin off my fingers, the funny brake pedal that I have to lift my foot to get to- making heel/toe a fantasy (something I was pretty good at...), the hidden engine cover latch, the funky fuel door pull.

Just a couple of things! This is what makes a 911 a 911
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Beautiful car!
Thank you!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by Regulatori

One other funny thing...

Only Porsche would have the following in the owner manual;

For owners of the turbo, to prevent moisture from building up in the wastegate and causing the valve to stick, each time you operate the vehicle you should make sure to run the car from idle to redline at full throttle to blow out the moisture.

That is not as funny as it reads in the manual- clearly directly translated from German- totally had me laughing as I was reading through.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danwink
Ugh.... I was wondering the same thing. I check it on every change, and it is right at the top (totally full).
Should I drain it and refill? Is this a big issue with 964's?
If you've been driving the car and it has been getting hot, then it should be fine to leave it & just let it burn down.

But has the car been running hot? A long drive on a cool day would not allow the oil to get sufficiently hot.

So basically it heats to 8 o'clock, the thermostat opens and it drops, then it warms back again to 8 o'clock. Then wait until it is at about 9 o'clock. It can take a good 15-20 mins of idling on a warm day ... add more time if it is a cool day. It is a long process just to check the oil level

FYI the guage is about 1 or 1.5 litres from red to top, so it is super sensitive. And is also very sensitive to temperature. The oil level can shoot up a lot from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

If it was me and a new car ... I always like to put in fresh oil & filter.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

You did very well!!! You are right all factory parts.. Plus you have a supple leather insides.. very rare .. Have fun!!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by sml
If you've been driving the car and it has been getting hot, then it should be fine to leave it & just let it burn down.

But has the car been running hot? A long drive on a cool day would not allow the oil to get sufficiently hot.

So basically it heats to 8 o'clock, the thermostat opens and it drops, then it warms back again to 8 o'clock. Then wait until it is at about 9 o'clock. It can take a good 15-20 mins of idling on a warm day ... add more time if it is a cool day. It is a long process just to check the oil level

FYI the guage is about 1 or 1.5 litres from red to top, so it is super sensitive. And is also very sensitive to temperature. The oil level can shoot up a lot from 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

If it was me and a new car ... I always like to put in fresh oil & filter.
It has been pretty cool in Vegas all week- but I did drive it nonstop from Sacramento to Vegas in one day, it was 8+ hours in cold weather.

Today, I drove to Spring Mountain Raceway (60 miles or so each way) and there have certainly been times that I made it to 8 o'clock on the dial, however the around town trips that I make probably don't heat up much as it has been in the 50's.

Normally the first thing that I do is an oil change, however the prior owner was SUPER particular and owned a service station, so he changed the oil just before I got it with the correct oil (Porsche spec- I forget what it is just now)

I do need to change the gearbox oil, the shifting is a bit notchy.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by tim911pcar
You did very well!!! You are right all factory parts.. Plus you have a supple leather insides.. very rare .. Have fun!!
Tim,

Thank you for your advice along the way, you helped very much!!

Do tell- what are supple leather insides? I noticed that the leather is VERY soft (or supple!!), however I suspected that was similar to all 964's
Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,492 Likes on 2,273 Posts

gorgeous car. beautiful wide ***.
congrats. enjoy in good health
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

looks great..in the best colour!!...a 964 Turbo for your first Porsche...lucky man indeed! Enjoy it
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

love it:-)

Quick Reply: Have my 964- safe and sound! Thanks for all of your help in choosing this car!!