Sponsored by:

Passenger window problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
964Ali
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window problem

My passenger window stopped working recently. It was dodgy for a while ; I.e. Wouldn't work, but then would once the car had been driven for a while.

I've swapped all the switches over, and they all work fine in all combinations.

Any hints as to what to do next. There's a feint clicking sound from inside the door when lower a switch to drop the passenger window.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Sometimes the motor or mechanism can stick just because it's on a worn or binding spot I think. Mine was stuck in the up position and I just opened up the door panel; removed the parts; tested the motor by applying power to confirm it worked; operated the motor repeatedly to clean contacts (brushes, armature); reassembled; adjusted; and lubricated gears. It's been working perfectly for months.

I think the first step is to get that motor out and test it. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

P.S.

I think that clicking is good power being applied to a motor with a stuck armature. I don't think you have a power or switching problem. Could be burned out motor, worn brushes or just corroded, like I said. If you can get the motor to work by rotating the armature a bit, you can sometimes clean contact points on brushes and free-up bearings with repeated stop/start operation.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

P.P.S.

Your description of the window working after (during?) driving seems to support my thoughts. The vibration during driving would tend to start a motor with corroded contacts working. Unlikely the motor is worn out since passenger window gets less use. Worst case scenario is motor is burned out from a short thats continued to apply power after mechanism limit was reached.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
964Ali
Intermediate

Thank you kind sir for the replies!

So, if I strip the door card out, remove the motor and juggle the rotor, spray it with WD40 or similar, it -might- cough back into life again?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't spray any lube into the motor, unless you can restrict it to the bearings (Ithinkthesemotorsareenclosed IIRC). WD40 not reaaly the best for bearings. Use lube instead of penetrating oil. You don't want to get any on the armature or brushes!

Yes it can come back to life. You might start by operating the switch while assisting the motor by lifting / pushing on the glass. If it's just stuck it might shake loose and start working. If it does, lube the gears and try operating the window through full travel for 15 min or so to attack any corrosion.

If you can't get it to work while in the door, pull it out and try my earlier suggestions. These motors seem to stick due to corrosion and binding due to the stops on full travel limit.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
964Ali
Intermediate

Sorted it - in a 'different' way...

Stripped door furniture and card off, and peeled plasic in relevant place.

Could feel the motor thump when I used the switch. A little pulling and tugging got nowhere, so -!

...A quick few taps to the motor up inside the door with 'the Scottish Adjusting Tool' I.e. a hammer, hey presto, one working window!

Quick Reply: Passenger window problem