Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was at Snetterton 300 today shich seems to have everything from Caterhams and Radicals to a Race 458's on track, felt i pushed the Michelins pretty hard, unlike the Bridgstones they kept performing and didn't show any signs of dip in performance which was suprising, even though i expected to feel them go off.

I spoke to a GT2, 997 and m3 driver during the afternoon, they explained that the Michelins will give a very consistant performance on track so even if you scrub off tread they hang in there! With this is mind i came away slightly puzzled, i was pushing hard (for me) but still felt i was over taken by pretty much everything on track. However my tyres indicate that i wasn't hanging around...

I came away please with more track/seat time but confused that i was past by everything eventhough i was flat out on the straights and pushing it through the corners, any ideas? I understand the 964 isn't the quickest however if i went too slow i would have been a mobile chicane.

Pics of my tyres after a 6 lap stint, as you can see the tread seems to have rolled off the edge of the 2 outer blocks, is this normal? Does it indicate i am pushing too hard? or anything else? Or just road tyres with on track abuse?

Last edited by Unkle; 01-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks normal for beating the snot out of them, it is exactly were all the marbles come from.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 425 Likes on 276 Posts

I have PS2's and liek them alot - Has anyone tried the SuperSports yet? They are supposed to have much more grip and last much longer....
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I had some PS2 also, which I also liked very much...

Until they only lasted five minutes and costed as much as a new house.

Then I didn't like them so much anymore.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's difficult to surmise from the photo, but I doubt you are pushing too hard, I would expect the tread blocks to be in a much worse state on a dry day, it looks as though more corner speed is possible to be honest.

Have you considered rebadging the car as a Carrera RS? I have heard they are worth about 10 secs a lap. ;-)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Unkle
Pro

Cheers James that made me laugh . You are probably right perhaps i could cane it some more but are you comparing like for like. Do you mean any tyre make tread block will look worse on a dry day or PS2 should look worse? I think the compound is different on the outside edge on the PS2, eitherway I don't really want to get through £800 of tyres in a single day,

They are a bit pricey Makmov especially if they don't really last any longer, perhaps a track day set of tyres and wheels is in order.

Last edited by Unkle; 09-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Makmov
Drifting

$1100 and my last set were worn out in 8,000 miles.

They had great dry traction, but not as good wet traction. Moreover, when the started getting down twards the wearbars 4-5/32 they were horrible in the wet.

My Dunlop SP2s... okay not quite as good dry, but much better in the wet. They also lasted a lot longer.

I am tempted to try some Contis DW.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a spare set of wheels and fit second hand race tyres.

You wont out perform them!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

First, don't get too hung up about being passed by other cars. A trackday is not about being the fastest, it's about enjoying yourself.

Second, most of those catching and passing you are doing so because they're faster through the corners. If you want to faster through the corners, you have to move to track rubber. No matter how well you think the MPS2s performed, they're nothing like what R compound tyres like Toyo R888s can do. The first time I used the 888s I found that I was a few feet inside the edge of the track on the exit. That was because I was doing the same speed as I would have done on road tyres, yet had so much more grip. With that extra grip I can now go quicker through those same corners and use all the track. I still get passed by a lot of people that have more talent than me...but who cares because I'm still having fun.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Unkle
Pro

Your right boxsey i didn't go to be fast and like other track days i had a load of fun regardless, I was wondering more about what it might be that "I" was doing to the tyres to be pulling the tread off yet still not very quick? Were they tyres under inflated , were my hot setting too low or high? I did the opening track time let air out to get them settled at 32F 36R hot approx, but they actually felt better at 34F 40R hot which was suprising (that made the rear, 36psi cold which is normal road pressure for me). Strange as the Bridgstones need to be 34F 36R hot, if i had left the road pressure on the Brigstones they would have been horrible.

I think some were definatley using it for pre race testing as we were in amongst some quick cars, the race 458 was nice and *kin quick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmber/sets/

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2