Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd DE, taking the 964 to an ice rink (wet CMP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default 2nd DE, taking the 964 to an ice rink (wet CMP)

(sorry I realize there is a lot of text here, just skip down to the pictures below! Every drive can turn into an adventure and the words just start to flow...)

So as I drive home from a weekend DE in my slightly more battered car, I can’t help thinking how much I love this car. The whole experience…getting out the door meeting new people and seeing new places. Driving in a beautiful car that is fun and functional at the same time, every mile felt like an event.

Take it to the track on the weekend and drive it to work on Monday…no wait, make that Tuesday, or next Monday after you fixed it again. Hey it’s a twenty year old car. It really did well this weekend, despite my best attempts to throw it off track at almost every corner.

Due to scheduling, I was unfortunately committed to driving on a wet track, my first time at this track, Carolina Motorsports Park (and only 2nd DE). It was an ice rink and I quickly learned about the differences between “road” asphalt and “track” asphalt. One stays wet for a really long time…

I said screw it, I'm already here and maybe the lower speeds would be a blessing? Or so I thought...it seemed like there was no hope after a couple spins, but slowly I got a better feel for the available traction and forgot about everything else and just focused on lapping the track. Since almost everyone is smarter than me, I had most of the track to myself (low turnout and Sunday's forecast was SUN..so everyone waited....%*$@^&%&!!!)

I will say the experience would have be much more frustrating without a good instructor. Or should I say great instructor. Herbert, you really made is all workout for me in the end! I invited Herbert to bunk with me in the hotel, it only made sense since he also have to drive 3 hours in the rain to instruct. That gave us extra time to get to know each other a bit and for me to follow his lead on everything from his choice of restaurant to getting to the track on time. Everything goes smoothly with Herbert. No rushing, no stress, no worries! A true racer who knows his stuff…I listened and followed his every word.

I still can't believe how calm he was on the track...it was wet and wild out there and there was no getting around the fact that a total spin was waiting to grab me at EACH corner. But we just lapped the track and lapped some more. Took a break and them lapped some more. I went through a whole tank of gas at the track! A whole tank while lapping in the wet!

Thanks again Herbert and I owe you a dry day in the future!

I also had the good fortune of finally meeting another Rennlister, ian89C4.
With an ugly day ahead of him, he and his wife drove to the track just to meet me. I really appreciated that.

You may know from his posts that he’s acquired an immense amount of 964 knowledge in the short time he’s owned his car, so I was very excited to see it. Better than that, we went for a nice back road drive in between my track sessions. What a nicely set up car. Every 964 feels different, and every 964 is set up differently depending on the condition of the car and what modifications have been undertaken. Ian’s car is super well set up, and he was brilliantly able to explain what and why for every mod. BTW, he immediately gave credit to other RLers for their help and advice for setting up the car. It’s amazing how solid a 964 feels with a half cage, race seats and dialed-in suspension. He has a really nice car! I immediately threw him the keys to my car and we went back out on the same roads. Compare to his car, my stock car probably felt like a handful…I shouted “floor it” a couple times. Good times Ian!

As I pulled back into the garage I looked at the odometer and realized I had driven over 600 miles in two days...the seats still felt comfortable, the car was still driving strong and I didn't want the adventure to end...

Thanks for reading, now on to some pictures!
Attached Images               
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Glad you had a good time. Congrats. Be prepared for the desire for more track time. I find it hard to resist.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I am anxious to hear more about CMP, to determine if it should be added to my bucket list. My son lives in Asheville and my wife has a cousin in Charlotte, so I might be able to use them as an excuse to wander on over to CMP. (although my wife has made it clear that she will not ride in "that car" - besides, with the roll bar and Pole Positions, there isn't enough room for her and her shoe bag, anyway.)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
I am anxious to hear more about CMP, to determine if it should be added to my bucket list. My son lives in Asheville and my wife has a cousin in Charlotte, so I might be able to use them as an excuse to wander on over to CMP. (although my wife has made it clear that she will not ride in "that car" - besides, with the roll bar and Pole Positions, there isn't enough room for her and her shoe bag, anyway.)
I didn't get to run the track in the dry...so lapping was a love hate thing at CMP. That said the course was fun with lots of challenge turns that will make for a wonderful track day.

That said, you mentioned you would be coming from Asheville...I would instead take the Blue Ridge Parkway the whole way from Ashville until you have to get off of it to head to Danville, close to where VIR is located. VIR is at a whole another level. Longer track, with big elevation gains/loses...higher speeds also. The track setting and amenities are also at another level.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway, then spending a day lapping VIR...that would be on my bucket list!

Here are a couple old Blue R.P. pictures for inspiration: https://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/DecTrip#

Quick Reply: 2nd DE, taking the 964 to an ice rink (wet CMP)