Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why most Porsche owners donīt drive their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011 | 03:50 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

Mine is my daily driver, I have owned more than one car/motorcycle most of my driving years, even at 18 I owned two cars, a VW Super Beettle and a 72' Plymouth Fury. I just want one car now and it is my 964.
I drive her rain or shine, around town or on a long drive to visits friends in Salem, or I even will load it up to go "camping."
I, like many others here really have a hard time putting her away after I am holding the wheel and feeling the engine at my back. I honestly never wanted a Porsche till I drove my first one a 77' Targa 911S. I bought it on payments, ended up having to let her go when I was laid off. I own this one and plan to never let her go if I can help it. I now can not see myself with out my 964, she is part of my life and an example of art and physics coming together to create a wonderful machine.

Arg, sorry got long winded. -Dē
Old 02-09-2011 | 04:22 PM
wilko
Instructor

i like that phrase , porsche could have used it
THE 964 - art & physics come together forming a wonderful machine
Old 02-09-2011 | 05:11 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

I promised to use mine as much as I could over the winter (winters here are very mild)... the result: a new clutch, new brake discs up front, minor suspension overhaul and a starter that needs replacing.

I wanted to put more mileage on her, but between all that (and the wait for parts) and the fact that she sat for 3 months after being hit due to disagreement with the insurance, it simply hasn't been possible.

My idea is that they can live forever as long as you're willing to spend on the maintenance and repairs... then again, it gets mentally bothersome when things keep breaking.

I do try to keep her out of the rain here... that stuff is quite acidic and combined with the salt in the air is definitely not good... good we only get around 8 days of rain per year.
Old 02-09-2011 | 06:21 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by wilko
haha elbeee964 ,i deliberately don,t have a car air freshener in the car because i worry it may spoil "the smell" i also love it when i go back in the garage after putting it away warm & the smell in there is one that you should be able to buy for gents cologne ! pure intoxication
I think you might find a cologne like that would only attract other men! At least my g/f hates the "funny smell" of my 964.
Old 02-09-2011 | 06:24 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Navaros911
I promised to use mine as much as I could over the winter (winters here are very mild)... the result: a new clutch, new brake discs up front, minor suspension overhaul and a starter that needs replacing.

I wanted to put more mileage on her, but between all that (and the wait for parts) and the fact that she sat for 3 months after being hit due to disagreement with the insurance, it simply hasn't been possible.

My idea is that they can live forever as long as you're willing to spend on the maintenance and repairs... then again, it gets mentally bothersome when things keep breaking.

You can tell me about that!!! mine was 2 months in the shop (december-january) because a very expensive A/C Blower broke and I had to buy the part in EEUU

I do try to keep her out of the rain here... that stuff is quite acidic and combined with the salt in the air is definitely not good... good we only get around 8 days of rain per year.
I donīt use in the rain either...
Old 02-10-2011 | 09:25 AM
hh956
Track Day

If you bought it, you should drive it...............every day, all year!!!
Could not live with myself, leaving such a machine dormant in a garage..........!!!
.............sacrilege!!!
Old 02-10-2011 | 09:52 AM
alanp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laker
For me it's the winter weather and salty roads... would be like taking your daughter to a biker bar.
well said Laker. The ice, snow & salt keep my car indoors for a few winter months... but not a bad thing as it gives me the time to work on the car.
Old 02-10-2011 | 09:56 AM
ian89C4
Pro

~20,000 miles in 2.5 years - That with a 3 month hiatus while a reseal was being finished on the engine. Usually she gets put away dirty - but gets washed and the interior cleaned up about twice a month.

After bad days at work I don't like to drink, I don't like to smoke...... a good twisty road and the feel of my C4 is all the "medicine" I need!

I agree, they are cars, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed!
Old 02-10-2011 | 11:48 AM
porscheforfun
Instructor

I drive it every chance I get but I work in outside sales and dont want to send the message of Im better then you to customers . I drove it once seeing customers most liked it but they also made the comment so thats why its so expensive for these parts.
Old 02-10-2011 | 12:01 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

my 964 is my daily driver, 209Kmiles so far. the cayman s sits in the garage with the xk8 for the weekends.
Old 02-10-2011 | 12:07 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscheforfun
I drive it every chance I get but I work in outside sales and dont want to send the message of Im better then you to customers . I drove it once seeing customers most liked it but they also made the comment so thats why its so expensive for these parts.
tell your customers you are driving a 20 year old car because your margins are so thin, then ask them how old their car is......

Last edited by Laker; 02-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2011 | 12:26 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laker
tell you customers you are driving a 20 year old car because your margins are so thin, then ask them how old their car is......
This.
Old 02-10-2011 | 12:26 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porscheforfun
I drove it once seeing customers most liked it but they also made the comment so thats why its so expensive for these parts.
"No - That car is reflection of how much I value swift, utterly reliable service... over mere economy. My maxim: Fast - Cheap - Reliable: pick two."
Old 02-10-2011 | 01:10 PM
rarebear
Racer

my 964 C2 is a daily driver, do the shopping as well with it (love the sound of the car in the parking garage... people start jumping when I start lol)
260k in 21 years... I have a neighbour who has a Ferrari 308 in his garage for years, only comes out in summer for 10 minutes... whats the use ????? i has 38k on the clock....hangar queen !!!
A car and especially a sportscar must be driven all the time !!!
And even when Adrian Streather in his 964 bible says not to drive a C2 in snow conditions, I do just that
(with a winterset of course) fun !!!
Old 02-10-2011 | 06:13 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

I had a 77' Targa 911S in Montana. It was a blast in the snow. Proper tires and experience in winter driving (Trail Breaker in Alaska with a 4X4 Blazer and a lot of time on skid/ice pads) kept on the road and not in the ditch. -Dē

As many say here train the driver is a great DYI upgrade for any car.

Quick Reply: Why most Porsche owners donīt drive their cars?