Sponsored by:

Stupidity admitted

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
showard1998
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupidity admitted

Well I spent last night getting the car up in the air to do the starter change. I read every post I could find on the subject and felt I was well prepared for the job at hand. Everything went smoothly. Only took a few minutes to remove the dreaded top nut and the starter was shimmied out fairly easily. New starter went in just as easy even though the top nut took a bit longer to get started and tightened down. I went to re-install the battery cable and the only hiccup was that I grounded the wrench on a piece of metal mistakenly causing sparks.

The moment of truth... I turned the key and............. only a click. WHAT THE HECK? Did I get a bad starter? Did grounding the battery cause some type of damage to the electrical system?? After sitting there thinking about it awhile, I figured I better check the grounding cable from the starter to make sure it didn't have any corrosion. Raised the car back up and then lo and behold my problem. I only attached one of the positive cables routed to the starter. I felt like such a bonehead. Hooked it up, dropped the car, reattached the battery (this time without causing any sparks) and it started immediately. Satisfaction achieved.

Next, spark plugs........
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You changed the starter with the battery connected?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
showard1998
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swmic
You changed the starter with the battery connected?
No, no, no. I re-attached the battery after installing the starter. No need to do any welding under the car

Quick Reply: Stupidity admitted