Sponsored by:

91 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Targa

I am going to try to drive over and look into this car tomorrow. It is a 91 Targa with 58k. Hes asking 22k nego.
I'll let you know how it goes. I am getting my list of questions together!
J
Attached Images      
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, let us know what you think.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhhh... yeah baby.

I am partial to GR '91 targa's... and my interior is cashmere, but I would have preferred black like that one.

Good luck, Joe!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I am partial to GR '91 targa's... and my interior is cashmere, but I would have preferred black like that one.
Just a thought, but IMHO the full black interior in a convertible could be a little toasty in the NC summer sun. Cashmere would be a bit cooler.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
la crosse
Advanced

I own a car very similar to this one. Mine is a 1991 C2 Targa with 80k on it. I paid $21000 last summer. I think with only 58k on it the price is fair. Who knows, you may be able to drop him down to $20,000 and get a great deal. He has already updated the mirrors and the wheels. Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
theGekko
Instructor

I had to postpone seeing the car till next weekend.
He did say that he has only had the car 2-3 months and doesn't know much about what has been done on the car, so I have asked him to send me the PO's # so I can get a better hx on the car.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theGekko
He did say that he has only had the car 2-3 months and doesn't know much about what has been done on the car, so I have asked him to send me the PO's # so I can get a better hx on the car.
Hmmm... Flipper? Or sudden change in circumstances?
Hope it works out!
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
theGekko
Instructor

He said he wants to track the car and wants a newer, more HP car. He is looking at 996's.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
BVF
Track Day

you might want to check out the seller's story. if you look closely at the background of the third pic, you can see an impact bumper car with number decals and 18" twists. he might know a thing or two about tracking Pcars and if he does he should know the targa wouldnt work. he has a reason for dumping it so soon or maybe he got a really good deal and is trying to flip the thing.

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Hmmm... Flipper? Or sudden change in circumstances?
Hope it works out!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by BVF
you might want to check out the seller's story. if you look closely at the background of the third pic, you can see an impact bumper car with number decals and 18" twists. he might know a thing or two about tracking Pcars and if he does he should know the targa wouldnt work. he has a reason for dumping it so soon or maybe he got a really good deal and is trying to flip the thing.
I believe those are from the previous owner. The car has a South Carolina tag, not NC. That's where the car was purchased.
I have been studying the Carfax here:
http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...i3&language=en
I see 6-7 owners in 5 states with spotty service. I know that Carfax isn't the best place to get that data, but I'm just a bit suspicious . The seller said he doesnt know any of the hx and just bought on PPI results, which he said only picked up a wheel bearing and AC charge needed which his seller did before purchase.I tried calling Midwestern Auto Group to get some hx, but they said they don't give out that info stating "Client privacy". The previous owner is apparently out of the country alot and I cant get in touch with him.
Don't know what else to do, but get a PPI if I like the looks and ride??
J
Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
campoj2
Racer

You may want to keep looking....sometimes we induce our own pressure to buy something we shouldn't for no other reason than we think that this will be the best car I can find. You can spend months looking for the right car, but when you know it's the "right car" you know it (in your gut) and you will pull trigger in a blink of an eye.

I'm sure you will be able to find something for $20K with a little better track record. Is there a hurry to buy a car now? If there's not then keep looking, that car has spent all of it's life in the rust belt.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Default Test Drive

I went ahead and saw and drove the car. I was really impressed! All the paint looked good. Had only a small "door ding" that was only visible with a look down the side line of the car. One wheel had a very small rash; the others were all clean. The top part of the spoiler curtain was missing. Just 2-3 stone chips on the bonnet. New tires. Interior was fresh and clean. I am going to get a PPI and if good, make an offer.
One thing, though...There was something that happened after the test drive. When the car came to a stop, the engine oscillated between 800-1200 rpm's. I turned the heater fan to 0 and it stopped. Any suggestions?
Also, any ideas on PPI's in the Statesville,or Charlotte, NC area?
Thanks
Joe

Last edited by theGekko; 01-24-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 91 Targa