Steam Cleaning Engine Area Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
bleachii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam Cleaning Engine Area Question

Hello,

My wife and I are finally starting to make time to use/clean/love our cars again. She has a '91 C2 Targa she bought in 1997. I have a '79 930 I got in 1998. Kids have relegated them to the garage over the past half dozen+ years. Now they are older and can ride without a car seat we are hoping to get them out more.

Was going to head over and clean the engine compartment of my wife's 964 later today. Do I need to cover anything to prevent it from getting damp during the process?

BTW...spent over an hour going through the 160+ page photo thread last night. Cool thread!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I pressure washed my engine once - turned out pretty good. I made sure the fuse box cover was on, electrical connections made up, etc. Warmed up the engine so it would dry later but not too hot to cause any problems with heat stress as it was shot with water. Make sure the dip stick is seated, make sure the oil fill cap is on tight. I parked the car on the drive way just outside my garage door, so in case it wouldn't restart I could roll it back in for the night. I jacked up the car on one side to expose the bottom, then I foamed it in only the greasy areas - valve covers engine tin, cylinders - not on the throttle, not on the ignition coils, not inside the alternator, etc. Let sit , then rinsed with hot water from a pressure washer, top and bottom. Let drip dry then restarted engine to dry it out. End result was da'kine as they say on the islands. Anyway, realize that the engine bay is somewhat open to the elements due to the spoiler so it's designed to take some water, but don't get to aggressive in shooting hi pressure water/steam at electrical connections. I didn't cover anything.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
bleachii
Advanced

Too late. Guess I shouldn't have tried to clean the inside of the air intake J/k.

I ended up taking the car to the DIY carwash and using the 'engine cleaner' and then rinsed with the regular high pressure spray just to get it cleaned up a bit. I covered the distributor cap and covered the air intake and did a basic wash. There was some other electrical wires I covered just so they didn't get a direct blast. I didnt get too agressive as I didn't want to be stranded but did get the first layer of dirt out. Car started right up with some screaming from the belt.

Appreciate the tips Mojo!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

For five years I've regularly washed mine at the high-pressure wand type car wash and I've never had any problems. I don't cover anything, but then I don't spray directly into the air intake either. It was a little hard to start on only one occasion, but otherwise started right away. No apparent rust on moving parts (throtle linkage etc.).
Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Just make sure you take it for a long-ish drive afterwards - get rid of water in the nooks and crannies, not to mention the electrics. Don't put it away wet!

cheers

Rob

Quick Reply: Steam Cleaning Engine Area Question