Sponsored by:

Looking at this '91..Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at this '91..Comments?

It has 45k on the odo and he wants 27k. I haven't run a carfax yet. He states in the ad that he has complete service records for the life of the car, but I haven't seen them yet. Any specific questions I should ask? I am in NC and the car is in PA with a private seller, so this will probably be a phone internet deal if it's right. He has owned the car since 1995.
Thanks,
Joe
Attached Images      
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Default '91 More pics

Here are some more pics....I don't know why he left the driver's seat out of the pics???
Attached Images      
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
ian89C4
Pro

The pics look good, but ask for all the pics that you can, of every little nook and cranny. Perhaps a fellow Rennlister in PA might be able to go take a look at it for you.
If he has conducted a PPI for the car have hem send you a copy of it; if he hasn't, have him conduct one for you. Even if you don't buy it it will be in his interest to have one done for future buyers.
Personally I think that every little receipt is irrelevant - just look for the major services. The condition of the car is also paramount - that will tell how willing he was to take very good car of his car. Its also a Cab - so get good pics of the top's condition.
Good luck with the purchase!
Ian

P.S. where are you at in the Raleigh area - I am just a bit south of you.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Thanks for the response. I have asked for more pics, but he said the weather is crap and is waiting on better weather to take more pics. I have also asked for more details on the service.
I live near Fuquay Varina.
J
Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
bmohr
Racer

Seems high for a guards red cab. Beauty no doubt, but 27k is a bit up there. Good luck with the purchase. Only advice I have, that you might overlook with those low miles is the age of the tires, not tread life, but AGE. I found this out the hard way
Old 01-11-2011, 03:51 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Yeah..I thought it was a bit high too. I'll ask about the tires.
BTW...Love your avatar!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a red '91 C4 cab about 15 miles away from this one. It only had 33K miles and I got it for $24.5K. After buying it and spending way too much time on this board, I feel I too may have over paid a little, but I'm ok with that.

"Your car" has been up on Craigslist since well before Christmas. It isn't moving anytime soon. These low mileage garage queens look great, but often the owners follow the maintenance schedule based on miles only and not time. In addition, service bulletins may not have been carried out. It is a catch-22 because the cars that have all the i's dotted and t's crossed owned by fanatics have many more miles. At a minimum have him send you a high resolution picture of the engine bay. If you PM me with your email address I will scan and send you the CL ad from "my car", as a starting point. Also find out who does his service, and I can suggest someone else for the PPI. Most likely it is Performance Auto in Malvern, Holts in West Chester or Don Rosen Porsche In Conshohocken.

A few questions to ask:
Has the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) been replaced with a Luk? (if not, it WILL need replacing at some point $3500)
Have the A/C, Oil Cooler, and Rear Blower Resistors been replaced?
Has the Distributor Vent Mod been fitted? (one look at the engine will answer this one)
Have the sway bar drop connectors been replaced. Chances are the boots are shot.
What is the date of manufacture (driver's side door jamb)?

The low mileage owners have the highest regard for their cars without even being aware of hidden issues that have been known for 15 years. Driver's seat is not pictured because it probably shows the most wear, and lines in the leather.

Last edited by Laker; 01-11-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Laker
thanks so much for your insight! I will make sure I get all the info on this one.
Thanks
PM sent
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

In a must-sell situation, $27K is over-priced by at least $4K in this economy. Cabs for whatever reason are not holding value as well as coupes. Low-miles 964 are very rare, so if you want the car badly enough, you might have to pay that much to get one.

An offer of ~$23K would not be an insult in this case. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ian89C4
Personally I think that every little receipt is irrelevant - just look for the major services. The condition of the car is also paramount - that will tell how willing he was to take very good car of his car. Its also a Cab - so get good pics of the top's condition
I agree. That, and evidence that he was willing to fix things as they came up, and didn't leave "open issues" on the car. Long ownership is good in that it should provide record traceability. Bad if the owner lost interest and fell asleep on periodic maintenance after a few years.

45K is low-mile for the year of course, but really about out of the "low-mile" category for low-use/specialty cars like this. Sorta "mid-range", so I wouldn't be inclined to pay a big premium for a cab with 45K miles. I concur that he's a little bit rich, I agree with springer that $23K is more realistic, assuming it checks out mechanically. If the driver's is tattered and needs to be rehabbed, deduct for that as well.
If he's taking a hard line on price, that would be why it's collecting dust.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the guys that own these low mileage cars are oblivious to the market. In fact, you could probably successfully ding it (to the owner) for not being a C4, when most everyone would agree that C2s command more. He is going on the Kelly Blue Book value period. Plus I'm sure his wrench has told him it's the nicest one around, which strokes the ego. It will sit, and he will wait 'til spring, and probably ask even more.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmohr
Seems high for a guards red cab. Beauty no doubt, but 27k is a bit up there........(
+1

Driver's side seats are almost always off the edge of any picture because there is noticeable wear on the outer bolster on the seat back. 10 to 1 he has it even at 45k.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Looks like my dad's C2...I better call him make sure...

Joe,
Hope you find a nice 964!
I'm in Chapel Hill, let me know if I can help? Feel free to stop by and checkout my 964 if you're in the area?
Best,
Udo
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

If you would consider a 964 Targa, I know of one for sale in Statesville, NC. 57K miles, red on black, 5spd, limited slip diff. Stock except for Turbo twist wheels. Very clean interior and paint.

No affiliation with the car or the seller.

I instructed the owner at a DE event in December and he contacted me later to tell me he wants to sell the car and get something more suited for track use. If you are interested, I can PM you his contact info.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:04 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera51
If you would consider a 964 Targa, I know of one for sale in Statesville, NC. 57K miles, red on black, 5spd, limited slip diff. Stock except for Turbo twist wheels. Very clean interior and paint.

No affiliation with the car or the seller.

I instructed the owner at a DE event in December and he contacted me later to tell me he wants to sell the car and get something more suited for track use. If you are interested, I can PM you his contact info.
Sent PM

Quick Reply: Looking at this '91..Comments?