Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you dissemble the handbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you dissemble the handbrake?

Hi

My push button on the handbrake lever is sticking.

Does anyone know how to dissemble the handbrake itself? I just want to take out the spring,push rod etc and have a look what is causing it.

Cheers

Miles
Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Not sure, but it looks like once you have it out of the car, and the lever it self out of the mount and all stripped down of the ratched and paw the rod unscrews from the button.

The only thing in there is a guide sleeve, rubber gromet, the rod and the button, but trust me you will need to get it out of the car and all dissassembled ~ not anything terrible hard to do but is quite envolved. I didn't take mine quite that far down, but I recently had it out and apart to replace the switch and contact spring.

You will have to remove the e-brake cover from the center console, the storeage tray or if you have cassette holder. Then you will see what is envolved.

There are four nuts holding the mount to the floor. It is semi glued down by something so it is a bit of work to get it up off the floor.

However, before that you will need to disconnet the cable, which I found it just easiest to undo the doubled nuts for the cable equalizer.

Unplug the wire for the light switch. Now you should be able to get it out of the car. I guess if you are really clever you can some how get the clip off the cable end, pull the pin out and get the cable free there. I don't exactly remember but I had a problem trying to go that way with it. I could get the clip off but the pin would come out because something else was in the way.

I would remove the switch at this time so it doesn't get boogered up while doing the rest of the repair. The switch isn't bad to replace, it is the contact spring which was a real PIA.

Now you should have it on the bench and you can finish taking it apart. Remove the big clip and pin and the lever can be removed from mounting bracket. If everything has gone right you should be down to just the lever, and ratchet and paw: remove those clips and pins and the ratchet and paw should come out. There should be two one for each part.

At this time you should have access to the rod in question, which is, yes, at the center of the universe.

It will be just the reverse to put it all back together and probably take a couple-few hours to do if you are pretty mechanically inclined and have experince working on German cars.

If you are learning how to work on German cars while attempting this it may take longer.

HTH

Depending on how much it has been used there are probably some worn out parts: the pins take a beating and you will just have to judge the spring clips. The contact spring and switch wears, and you might need the sleeve and rubber gromet.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Hi
Thanks for taking your time to respond in detail.
I stripped it all the way down but could not get the handle off, looks like its glued into position.

However I fixed the problem for anyone else with the same issue as me and that was the push rod was getting stuck inbetween the stops, so i just closed them up a bit and it works fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Miles965uk
Hi
Thanks for taking your time to respond in detail.
I stripped it all the way down but could not get the handle off, looks like its glued into position.

However I fixed the problem for anyone else with the same issue as me and that was the push rod was getting stuck inbetween the stops, so i just closed them up a bit and it works fine.
I am glad you got it fixed.

The foam and leather are glued on the handle but the whole handle will come out of the bracket if you remove the large pin.

FWIW the foam and leather will come off with some twisting and pulling.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 PM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi,

trying to revitalize this...

I recently bought another 993 from a friend in the US, this time a red cab with cashmere interior and root wood handbrake lever and shifter. As both are chipped and ugly I need to replace them.

Of course both items are long NLA...

But I just happened to find a NOS dark root wood handbrake lever with red leather sleeve. Perfect condition but wrong color leather...

So how do I take it apart, so that I can put the new wood grip onto the old cashmere leather sleeve or vice versa?

Somewhere I read that I need to screw the wooden pushbutton off? But that won't happen to start with and I don't want to brake the (fragile?) wooden push button...

Any advise? And what next ? How do I then get the wooden grip off the leather?

The attached drawing does not really help me without knowing what is threaded, what is glued etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Piggy backing on your question as I'm changing from cashmere to black.

Are there any good aftermarket handles that fit?

I've read of people's le dyeing the leather - does this stay?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 AM
oshkosh99
Advanced

... and for anybody else interested in the answer to my question...

Rennline (not rennlist) provides the answer:
http://www.rennline.com/PDF/dh08.pdf

Thanks anyway
Old 08-04-2015, 08:58 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oshkosh99
... and for anybody else interested in the answer to my question...

Rennline (not rennlist) provides the answer:
http://www.rennline.com/PDF/dh08.pdf

Thanks anyway

I did this on my car. Was a pretty simple project.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 AM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Folks,
still have not received any answers... So how do I get the wooden **** "17" and the wooden grip (front part of "1") off? Both seem to be glued on. Will heat soften the glue but leave the wood ok? Anybody done this?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Nashville
AutoX

Hi all,
Resurrecting this thread relating to the button question at the start.

I replaced the lever on my 1990 964 and after installation the button on the brake lever barely sticks out. I can push it in just a bit; enough to raise and lower the brake against the stopping gear.

Pic 1 shows the lock segment (black toothed gear) seated all the way so that the button "SHOULD" be relaxed and sticking out. Instead it is flush with the handle as seen in pic 2. Pic 3 shows the button when the lock segment is removed and the hammer has nothing the press against it; how I think it should look in pic 2.

Can I adjust anything and/or do I have the lock segment in correctly? It's a brand new lever and I am not excited about cutting and separating the end cover to get at the button and threads as shown in OshKosh's link from Rennline above.

Quick Reply: How do you dissemble the handbrake?