Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 targa to speedster who's done it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 targa to speedster who's done it!

Hi,

I love the speedster and my 964 targa wants a re-paint to make it perfect, so my small mind is churning on overtime thinking can I SPEEDSTER it because it needs painting anyway.
I have searched the forum and found various snippets of info but has anyone else changed the targa to a speedster.

Please post or pm any info

As I am very interested in doing this to the old targa and I want it 100% right, I do know a guy who has done a cab to speedster on a 993 I suppose he'll offer some info when I see him.

Gaz,

Last edited by screamingflat6; 12-28-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

okay then, I must be the only one.

I have found on the 993 board a parts list for all the parts, so I am going to investigate at the dealer the cost to me.

I think a scuttle change is the easiest direction and change the top section of rear bulk head.

I just hope the screen and frame can be bought for normal money or I can find someone who has copied it.

but again any information is better than none.

Gaz,
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM
milutintin
Advanced

maybe this can help you....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...targa-top.html
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Hi,

I love the speedster and my 964 targa wants a re-paint to make it perfect, so my small mind is churning on overtime thinking can I SPEEDSTER it because it needs painting anyway.
I have searched the forum and found various snippets of info but has anyone else changed the targa to a speedster.

Please post or pm any info

As I am very interested in doing this to the old targa and I want it 100% right, I do know a guy who has done a cab to speedster on a 993 I suppose he'll offer some info when I see him.

Gaz,

Yes you can speedster it. It is however by no means a matter of 'making a few adjustments while I'm in there painting'. Have a look at Graham's / 9M 993 speedster build thread at the 993 section of this forum to see what's involved.

993's don't come as speedsters, 964's do.....if it's a speedster you want I'd advise you to sell your targa and buy one that left Stuttgart as a speedster in the first place. My 2C
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default small pockets

I know Graham through the cars and pcgb.

I cannot afford a speedster anymore its just gone out of the window for me to buy a real car but I have the basic shell which can be adjusted.

I could sell all three of my cars to buy one speedster but nah I won't do that, I'll build one if I can get enough info.

I do have a contact at the factory but I'll keep searching and pestering on here for a while before getting intouch with Mark.

Thanks,

Gaz
Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong, my comment wasn't meant as a snobby remark....I'm all for building stuff myself and should you choose to build your own speedster than you get my fullest respect.

Personal experience with 'projects' is they take twice as long and cost three times as much in the end vs. what's originally planned.

Here's one that could be yours for GBP 45K :

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...e&pageNumber=1

Enjoy it for a couple of years and it will still be worth 40K...... :-)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check this link to ebay. LA Porsche Dismantler has all the OEM parts forsale as a kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default METAL IS METAL

Thanks for the info chaps,

Don't worry I'm never upset over replicas and the feeling of the purists to them.

I have a 3.8 rsr look turbo and its got me into trouble over the years as it was asked to join all the real rs's at silverstone classic a couple of years ago and certain people were very upset it was parked near them.

I suppose they were gutted my car gained more attention than theirs being widebodied and I have more horses.

Okay the white car is lovely but I want my four wheel drive system, my car has a fresh low mileage engine and I have lots of parts stored for the car ie rs rear bumper all new lights and body rubber lowered suspension kit 3.6 split rims as
I was going to do a rs targa thing but I think a speedster conversion is more radical and being built on a old c4 targa I won't worry about driving it.

I think with my contacts here in the uk we could turn out something nice for real world money.

I don't just give my money away and I'll do what I can before paying out thats my nature

GAZ
Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Boydrsr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaz, check out this project on Impact Bumpers....tripe is good guy and can probably assist......i have a 964 speedster and it was used as reference for graham's 993 build at 9M

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/i...howtopic=13690

Boydyrs
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default LONG LOST BUDDY

Ray,

Screamingflat6 it's me Gaz,, Calders mate

I was hoping to see you sometime this year and ask you to let me have a look at the blue meanie.

I will be at the rs day in the newyear so I can meet up with the Sterling massive.

Remember when we both use to go crazy over the yellow 964 a long long time ago.(1994)

Regards

GAZ

Last edited by screamingflat6; 12-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow that would certainly be a very interesting project,i never knew the targa was basically a cab shell

Neil
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default Northern soul

GT2rainge

yeah looks like I'll be bringing the biscuits around and some Porsche bags

Hahah,

I think this will be good for the portfolio

Yeah cabs and targas same shell, read about tripes car on impact bumpers all good info.I remember in the 80's loads of targa's becoming cabs and getting painted red as that's what the market wanted at the time.

Boydyrs is a mate and I have known him since he raced a green 924 with my mate 911 LEGEND who built a cup car replica ten years ago.

Boydy's speedster is awesome and I hope I can create something 50% of that car and i've won in my mind.

I won't colour change from the red I actually like it ,after slagging My mate the legend off after buying his third red 911 " red boring boring" ha ha I'm sure he'll remind me of my negative to red.

Yeah I really fancy this project and I think its viable and I have squirrelled away most the bits for doing a repaint over the last twelve months.

So today I have sent me main man a list of the bits for the conversion all from the pet, lets see what I can get them for?

Hey and don't think my targa is a rough old girl as Norm will tell you its better than I make out, I am the king of OCD.

GAZ,

Last edited by screamingflat6; 12-29-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi mate,the diary is getting full already for 2011.
This project will be awesome. Have you managed to source all the parts?
I seen the blue 964 speedster and is indeed an awesome car i really love the speedster.
Might need plenty biscuits for this one
Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

make it a widebody speedster

costs a bit more due to wheel arches. But then you have the
most beautiful car on the planet ( 11 widebody 964 speedsters were created
by Porsche, by rebuilding original 964 speedsters after production at coustomers'
request, I beliee).

What's the deal by the way with the Speedster softtop. Does this work with same holes and mechanism as 'regular' 964 convertible? Or is this a definetly new mechanism?

Does it matter for the conversion if you start of with a Targa or a regular convertible? Or are the adjustments about the same?

My opinion if you have the budget. and don't have to worry about the expenditure. Then I would do it.
(That said, I will build a Widebody 964 Speedster in the future.)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Thanks for the info chaps,

I have a 3.8 rsr look turbo and its got me into trouble over the years as it was asked to join all the real rs's at silverstone classic a couple of years ago and certain people were very upset it was parked near them.
Any pics ?

Quick Reply: 964 targa to speedster who's done it!