KTS500 Bosch hammer - help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default KTS500 Bosch hammer - help!

Hi,
My mechanic has a KTS500 PCMCIA card and the software on an old laptop, unfortunately the laptop has crashed and burned. His problem is that a more modern laptop doesn't like the PCMCIA card.
I have had a look and it seems that the software is DOS 6 based with a tiny bit of Windows 3.1 for a GUI and the printer setup.
Has anyone found a solution to getting the card and correct drivers to make the software work on a later model laptop or using a card/USB adaptor?

Cheers
Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Nick,

I use an old IBM 600 laptop to run all my auto-related software applications. It runs W98.

You can find them on E-Bay and they are cheap to aquire.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Steve,

Yes, i can get an old laptop (the IBM 600 and Toshiba Tecra are the ones to get apparently) but at some point laptops of that era will become like dinosaurs and disappear!
What i'm looking for is a longer term solution to make the software and card work with new laptops. First thing i want to know is what is actually causing the issue, the physical interface between the card and slot or is it just drivers?
A couple of options i am going to look at is trying to use a card reader with a USB connection to a laptop and either get the right drivers or try and tweak DOS. The other is using virtual machines and running it in a DOS environment on a newer laptop.
I was wondering if someone out there had done any of this or found a better solution?

Cheers

Quick Reply: KTS500 Bosch hammer - help!