Sponsored by:

964 Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEX P
My fault for not doing my homework properly.

Options were to machine the pistons or buy a set of JEs and while both are solutions in their own right I went for the JEs and hopefully get a little back for my original set.

Lesson learnt the hard way I guess, thanks for the help guys.
Live and learn.

I would still clay the JE and measure the clearences, and you will want to weight the new pistons and pins. Any more than 4-5 gram difference you will want to rebalance the assembly.

Kind of hard to sell a set of pistolas without the cylinders because they are matched sets - even more so after they are run.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Agreed, both my rods and the pistons that I currently have are all within 1 gram of each other and I would like to get the JEs to within the same tolerance really.

I hear what you're saying about selling the pistons but it just takes the edge off the new ones even if it pays for the shipping or the import tax! Failing that they get filed in a box at the back of the garage!

Cheers
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM
tim_haskins
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you get the vapour blasting done?? It looks great. Going to be rebuilding my engine soon so would appreciate a list of who did what on your engine.

Many thanks and a great project

Tim
Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALEX P
Agreed, both my rods and the pistons that I currently have are all within 1 gram of each other and I would like to get the JEs to within the same tolerance really.

I hear what you're saying about selling the pistons but it just takes the edge off the new ones even if it pays for the shipping or the import tax! Failing that they get filed in a box at the back of the garage!

Cheers
Not just within each other but the new ones vs the old ones. The rotating assembly is balanced to the old piston weight.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Hi Makmov, it's what I meant, I just worded it badly!

Tim, most of the work was done fairly locally to me as there are quite a few good outfits if you know where you're looking. If you are anywhere near my area or are willing to travel/post parts I will gladly pass on the any specific contact details, just let me know.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Picked up the long block today, really happy with the work.

Last edited by ALEX P; 07-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Default Engine harness pop quiz

Well the engine is now fitted back in the car and I'm trying to finish all the fiddly little jobs like hooking everything up. on the right side of the engine everything is pretty straightforward but on the left there seem to be a few plugs left over that I can't identify. Can any of the experts help out?

First photo - There is a connector coming from the harness from the ECU with a small loop / coil on it. Any ideas what this is for?

Second photo - There are 2 plugs and a coil coming from the engine harness, one is a 2-pin plug, the other is a grey plug and there's the coil but I can't find anywhere to connect these to. I've got a feeling they are heating related and I am not running heat but it would be useful to know.

Third photo - Again this is from the engine harness and has 2 plugs, the one in my hand is taped up and there is a second plug on the left that I can't find a home for.

Any ideas or clues much appreciated.

Last edited by ALEX P; 09-28-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

pic 1 looks like the O2 sensor

K
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

the one closest to the camera in pic 2 looks like the NTC sensor for heating.

K
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Thanks warmfuzzies, I'll just leave the sensor in pic 1.

Found out where the plug in pic 3 goes from the first photo in this thread, dunno about the second taped up connector.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-question.html

As for the heating connectors and coil in the second photo of mine???

Should I disconnect the coil and just tie the wires and connectors up out of the way?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 AM
rollingjack
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First photo- O2 sensor, possible.

Second photo- is this bigger plug grey or more like white? If white, then this connects to cylinder head temperature NTC. You see this NTC plug in first photo, this is behind green plug. Smaller plug with Mercedes logo connects to resonant flap valve.

Third photo-connector with three pins- distributor. If second plug come from same harness, where the other plug in photo- then it will be plug for belt sensor.

Of coarse you can disconnect coil, is important only then, if you have 964 CCU and 964 rear fan.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First pic, 02 sensor connection.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
rollingjack
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rollingjack

Third photo-connector with three pins- distributor. If second plug come from same harness, where the other plug in photo- then it will be plug for belt sensor.
Second choice- Plug with three pins- throttle body-idle speed-full load switch and second plug with two pins -tank venting valve.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting somewhere now.

So the o2 sensor, does this just flap around the engine bay or what? I've just tucked it up out of the way at the back of the engine bay for now and I'm hooking up an AFR gauge with a Bosch lambda / o2 sensor in the headers to keep an eye on what's going on but this physically screws into the headers. May be worth mentioning that I don't think my engine ever had an o2 sensor as it also has the loop connector by the ECU that bypasses the o2 sensor.

The second photo is a grey plug (the white one is already connected). I'll assume that these are all heating related plugs and remove the coil then seal & tuck them out of the way somewhere.

The third photo is the plug that connects to the distributor. That would make perfect sense that the taped up plug is for the belt sensor so once again tuck it out of the way.

Thanks again for the help, I'm sure I'll think of more stupid questions soon. Getting close to firing her up for the first time. Terrifying!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Default Cranks but won't start - Flywheel sensor?

Quick update - Engine cranks but won't start. I can't hear the fuel pump and there was no fuel to the bleed on the fuel rail so I tryed to jump the DME relay without success and also tryed my spare DME relay. When I try to jump the DME, all I get is a click from the engine bay???

Next step was to connect the positive terminal of the battery to fuse no.6 (fuel pump) and the pump happily whirred away so somehow I am not getting any signal to the fuel pump.

I have been advised that it could well be the flywheel / crank reference sensor giving the problem as this activates the DME relay but havent got a clue how to test this.

Does this sound like a likely reason and should I be checking anything else before I go and spend out on a new flywheel sensor?

Exhaust is on upside down by the way to clear the mounting bracket until my spacers arrive!

Last edited by ALEX P; 12-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 964 Engine rebuild