Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN / Chassis Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I took a peek at mine since I have the right door panel off (whole 'nother story), and so far the frunk lid and right door match for numbers. However, my decklid doesn't have any so either Jurgen forgot or it's been replaced.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Credit due

I had read somewhere on Rennlist about the numbers on the hood so I can't take credit for the find I have my fenders off so will search them close to see if there any where on them
Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by beamishnz
The car has been offered to me (via a third party - yep it is all complicated!) ... so my access to the car is remote and it is not garaged close to where I am so it is a bit torturous getting info.

I'm half tempted to buy it and then keep the research going with a view of finding the VIN and negotiating clear title. If it is stolen (off shore) and I suspect it is since it maybe that I can negotiate clear title from the previous owner/insurer. Otherwise track or parts

As you observe it is a nice example and a shame not to get it back on to the road.
I wish you the best with this one. Whatever you do I hope it works out. It is too nice to let go to waste. Even as a track car it would be nice to have but if you could street this even better. Hopefully the PO was compensated for any loss.

I read elsewhere that the build numbers for a 964 are located as follows: Parcel shelf under carpet by rear window it is also , the frame under the ‘ knee pad’ by the ashtray (as John has indicated and also the last 4 digits of that number will be stamped on the hood (by the left hinge) and also on the engine cover (on the back edge between the hinges). On a 944 (which I know somewhat better) we have a sticker with the day of build completion in the rear cubby on the RH side beneath the carpet.
This has been enlightening. I am always learning something new. I never really paid attention to these numbers but have noted cars in the past that had doors replaced without matching numbers the owners were trying to pass off as all original. Now I know.

Yep, I do belive that the first letter in the engine number sequence designated year so K=89 , L =90, M= 91 and N= 92
Yes you are correct. So it should be a 92 which matches what we are seeing. They skipped O and went to P in 93 and R in 94.

At least you are on the right track. A 92 is a far nicer MY to own if you could. You rarely find one as clean and what appears to be original as this one. Minus the VIN change crap that is.

Please keep us informed I am interested in hearing how it works out for you

All the best.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Please keep us informed I am interested in hearing how it works out for you
I definitely will. Focus now is trying to identify the correct VIN. I think my best bet is from the engine number. The is clearly a data base that includes VIN, engine #, transmission # and build details including colour. Just need to find way of accessing it other than just via VIN. Thanks for your support and encouragement.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I definitely will. Focus now is trying to identify the correct VIN. I think my best bet is from the engine number. The is clearly a data base that includes VIN, engine #, transmission # and build details including colour. Just need to find way of accessing it other than just via VIN. Thanks for your support and encouragement.
Good luck on the color. If you find a data base that gives you that info we have been looking for it for a long time. The 928 guys were able to find it all but for some reason the 964's will give you all options (if you have a vin) but no color.

BTW check the tranny code. If the 7th digit is a number and not a K=89, L=90 or M=91 than it is a 92 on up tranny. For some reason in 92 they stopped putting a date code and just a serial number.

Next question? is this car a tip? I don't quote Adrian all that often but his book is a decent source of little facts. Under his Engine number codes section he has a *
didgit 4 is exclusive to Tiptronic models. In model year 1991 this number became a 5. So from this model year onwards the M64/02 engine for a tiptronic could be identified separately
he also notes for ROW cars there should be an additional vin number plate installed in the front luggage compartment attached to the right front inner fender. It is very near the right headlight assembly.

For some reason I am not sure if you will find one there or not but worth a look. On the US cars there is a VIN number plate attached to the A pillar.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:05 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Good luck on the color. If you find a data base that gives you that info we have been looking for it for a long time. The 928 guys were able to find it all but for some reason the 964's will give you all options (if you have a vin) but no color.
Not sure I fully understand the point about colour. I got a print out for the 'incorrect VIN' that gave me all the details including the original colour code - that is how I know the VIN related to a red car

Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

BTW check the tranny code. If the 7th digit is a number and not a K=89, L=90 or M=91 than it is a 92 on up tranny. For some reason in 92 they stopped putting a date code and just a serial number.

Next question? is this car a tip? I don't quote Adrian all that often but his book is a decent source of little facts. Under his Engine number codes section he has a *

he also notes for ROW cars there should be an additional vin number plate installed in the front luggage compartment attached to the right front inner fender. It is very near the right headlight assembly.

For some reason I am not sure if you will find one there or not but worth a look. On the US cars there is a VIN number plate attached to the A pillar.
Interesting info on TIP code ... the engine number is *62N52257* so yes that correlates since it is a tipo.

Interesting info re ROW additional VIN number by headlight assembly. I'll get someone local to check that out.

In the meanwhile I have a few 'connected' individuals seeing if they can make a backward link between engine and VIN.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Not sure I fully understand the point about colour. I got a print out for the 'incorrect VIN' that gave me all the details including the original colour code - that is how I know the VIN related to a red car

Must be PCNA then. We can't access color; yet they will inundate you with options that are standard equipment on all US spec cars.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the plate will be there. Maybe they overlooked this. Clearly they put a lot of work into changing the plate under the tank.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:01 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

That print was provided by a tame USA main dealer from whom I buy a lot of parts. Not sure that it is a 'public service'
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Paul, that VIN looks like a complete red herring. Probably the only parts of it in the car you are looking at are the VIN plates. BTW My Turbo 3.6 was C26 country build but was sold new in Singapore so knowing where they got the VIN is more difficult than it looks like. That said the source of the false VIN is irrelevant. You need to find out what the true VIN was of the car as is.

It sounds like you need a few hours with the car to look at the multiple clues it could give, which will narrow down the search e.g. was it supplied with a cat or not? What part number is the ECU? What dates are on the exhaust parts and various engine hoses? There are multiple other things you could look at. Is the car in Auckland? If so I might be able to help with bringing a known car along to see what’s different.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, that VIN looks like a complete red herring. Probably the only parts of it in the car you are looking at are the VIN plates. BTW My Turbo 3.6 was C26 country build but was sold new in Singapore so knowing where they got the VIN is more difficult than it looks like. That said the source of the false VIN is irrelevant. You need to find out what the true VIN was of the car as is.

It sounds like you need a few hours with the car to look at the multiple clues it could give, which will narrow down the search e.g. was it supplied with a cat or not? What part number is the ECU? What dates are on the exhaust parts and various engine hoses? There are multiple other things you could look at. Is the car in Auckland? If so I might be able to help with bringing a known car along to see what’s different.
You're right the existing VIN is a complete red herring ... actually a red C4 ... I'm clear that what I need to do is find the original VIN of the '92 silver blue car.. I'm pretty sure that the engine belongs to the shell that it is sitting in and everything points to it being a '92 vehicle. The easiest way of proceeding is for me to get the VIN that matches that engine and then check the build sheet against all the other details. Then try to source the owner/insurer that lost the vehicle with a view of getting a clear title. It wont be easy but nothing is impossible and I love a challenge.

The information exists in the Porsche database to link engine and original VIN but dealers only have access to searches by VIN. I need a search by engine. number. Someone at Porsche will be able to do that I just need to find that someone. I have a few feelers out at the moment and will keep you posted.

Sadly the car is in Christchurch, so not local for inspection and I sense the current 'custodian' may get a bit jumpy as the story unfolds. It isn't really a good scenario for him.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last edited by John McM; 02-08-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last edited by John McM; 02-08-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be PCNA then. We can't access color; yet they will inundate you with options that are standard equipment on all US spec cars.
The thing is PCNA will provide you with the original paint colour if your pay for a Certificate of Authenticity.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mixter
The thing is PCNA will provide you with the original paint colour if your pay for a Certificate of Authenticity.
Yeah that only helps if they have the vin and I had to provide some information they did not have to have it correctly represent my car. I also have seen some claiming the car should have a CD changer. Although the all original car did not have it and the mounting points drilled into the body did not exist. So they are only worth so much.

Quick Reply: VIN / Chassis Numbers