Sponsored by:

Reliability of 4WD on 1989 911C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Sorry, I didn't mean to muddy the waters by dragging the issue of the airbag system into the conversation. I guess my somewhat misguided point was to relate AWD system concerns to a priority order of 964 concerns in general. In the context of all the things to be worried about, the AWD is very low on my list, while the airbag system is much higher, based on personal experience and the threads I've read here.

I agree that the airbag in this car has some value, although I will never feel as safe in this little car, surrounded by semi's on the freeway, as I do in my Subaru or my Volvo, protected by umpteen airbags. But I'm the type that can't stand to have any component of my car not working, and this system has truly tried my patience. The light is on now on my car, and I believe this time it's another front sensor. According to the service records I have that go back the life of the car, they've been replaced twice. It might need the "clock solder" fix at this point, as well. When the SRS system "burps", it throws the light, but when light is on, I don't know whether I have an airbag or not. Honestly, other than the fact that I'm pissed I have a dash light on, I feel okay with that and I drive it with the same cavalier abandon.

For me personally, yup and yup.

Sorry for the OT, but my lingering Airbag warning light was solved by tracing the driver's side (left hand side US spec) sensor wire back and discovering that it had been pinched under a screw and washer near the front hood hinge. No return of the warning since I released the wire from that location.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Sorry for the OT, but my lingering Airbag warning light was solved by tracing the driver's side (left hand side US spec) sensor wire back and discovering that it had been pinched under a screw and washer near the front hood hinge. No return of the warning since I released the wire from that location.
Interesting... thanks for the tip. I've cleaned the sensors before, which seemed to help, but I never saw anything else amiss as far as what I could see of the harnesses. But I'll go back and give it a closer look. I didn't have any problem for the first year or so that I owned it - then all hell broke loose.

Sorry again for sidetracking the thread.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Sounds a lot like my experience.

Back on track, I've had to replace front CV joints. You won't find those on a C2.
I've had to replace the lateral lock, too.

I think that's it.

Well, for the AWD system, any way. :-)
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How expensive was that lateral lock and how many hours of labor?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

$375 back in 2007 for the part. Labour was in with a clutch job done by an indy. The whole experience was rather unpleasant and expensive. I'm much happier doing my own work; where I'm able, of course.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
campoj2
Racer

Lateral locks, ABS box and accelerometers are typically the big ticket items on the C4. I can't really think of anything else special.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

220K 1990 C4 No problems. They used the rejected parts for the 4WD system to make panzer tanks I think ;-)

Quick Reply: Reliability of 4WD on 1989 911C4