Sponsored by:

Oil Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM
nidon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Thermostat

Hi, I think my oil thermostat is shot, temp goes higher than normal, doesn't drop and the pipes to oil cooler remain cold. I have the parts to replace but my question is around the oil. I assume I will lose an amount of oil when I remove the thermostat (seems to be a varying amount looking at previous posts). What I am trying to understand is do where does this oil drain from and do I need to replace it immediately before starting engine. i.e if it drains from oil coller I could overfill engine if I top up straight away.
Does that make sense??
Nige
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The oil tank is above the thermostat, so all of that will drain out. Depending on how you jack up the car, the oil in the engine crank case may drain too. I would plan on draining all of the oil, replacing your thermostat and then filling with fresh (similar to a oil change) just to be safe.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 PM
911kid
Rennlist Member

You might want to try tapping on the thermostat with a hammer to see if it will free up. This worked with mine this spring and have had no problems since.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 AM
nidon
Advanced

Hi, yeh have tried tapping the thermostat, no joy . Looks like I'll do an oil change at same time then.
Heres hoping I can get the thing out !!!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by nidon
...I assume I will lose an amount of oil when I remove the thermostat (seems to be a varying amount looking at previous posts). What I am trying to understand is do where does this oil drain from and do I need to replace it immediately before starting engine. i.e if it drains from oil coller I could overfill engine if I top up straight away.
Does that make sense??
Nige
I was expecting to lose 6 quarts of oil when I changed my thermostat insert...but I only lost a quart (and some water!)?

My experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/7521452-post41.html

A link to more pictures of the procedure: http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/ThermoSil#

[/URL]
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

You can overhaul the thermostat while it is still on the car. It would require the removal of the shark fin.
There's a steel cover over the end of the thermostat body that's held in by a circlip. Once the circlip is removed you'll need to drill and tap a small hole in the center of the cover and thread in the appropriate bit that's part of a slide hammer. There will be so much corrosion in the body that this is the only way to get the thermostat apart whether it's on or off the car. Inside is the paraffin capsule, a relief spring and ball and a o-ring that's turned into pasta.
Now if all the oil lines are weeping (even the long one that runs from the thermostat to the oil filter adapter) then you should plan on removing the thermostat and oil tank, which is a much bigger job. The trick is to remove the thermostat from the oil lines running up to the oil cooler. I had to cut mine to get them off and replace the fittings.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
nidon
Advanced

Hi thanks for all the help so far. I.ve got the thermostat insert parts from porsche and have removed sill cover etc to get at thermostat. All lines look dry at moment, so hope I don't have to remove the whole assembly. Have removed circlip but am unable to budge the cover at all. Looking now at drilling a hole tapping in a screw and try and claw if off with hammer (unfortunately don't have a slide hammer ) seems some have had luck this way (tried cutting small slot with dremmel to get some purchase for a screwdriver and punch but so far has not helped) however if I did this it would pobably then prevent me tapping a hole for a slide hammer !
Maybe should buy slide hammer and correct tap for end of slide hammer

Grrrrrrr frustrating
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by nidon
...Have removed circlip but am unable to budge the cover at all. Looking now at drilling a hole tapping in a screw...
After removing my circlip, I too couldn't remove the cover. I eventually drilled a small hole -offset to the side- and then with the drill bit still in the cover, as able to pull up and down until the cover started to pop out.

(notice the very small hole in the thermostat cap)
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
nidon
Advanced

Just for update and thanks for every one's help. Thermostat housing cover has now been beaten into submission. Ended up cutting out piece with Dremmel then levering out with screw driver. This was after sever broken drill bits and self tapping screws failed (didn't try slide hammer)
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I got mine out by pushing it in*slightly* with a C-clamp. Once loosened it came out rather easily.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope you remove all those chips inside the the thermastat housing.( those are steel too) remember that oil will not be filtered before it goes back into the tank and then to your engine. the way our cars are is that the oil is filtered only upon exit of the engine. anything contaminated aft of the oil filter will go thru the engine and can damage/clog iol squirter and what not. only the 993 cars have filtration in front and aft of the engine lubrication of the block

just a suggestion you could of used a a hot glue gun with some round stock to grab the plate, just make sure to clean real well before you glue.

Quick Reply: Oil Thermostat