Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cat bypass and motor mount installation pics

Some pics from my cat bypass/motor mount installation from a few weeks back:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kylejohn...ssMotorMounts#

Special thanks to Emmett aka Unkle here on the forum for saving me ~$100 by sending the pipe across the Altantic. Folks like Emmett are the reason this forum is so great.

I initially had more of a fuel smell after installing the pipe. After sending my chip back to Steve Wong to be reprogrammed with the bypass pipe option, I am pleased to report the increased fuel smell has gone away. I already had a cup pipe and I've noticed what seem to be slight improvements in power and throttle response. Combine that with a deeper, more aggressive exhaust note and I could not be happier. I am a definite fan of the cup pipe/cat bypass combo. Plus it will be great to eliminate the heat associated with the cat once summer rolls around here in Houston.

Ended up going with the Corteco 993 motor mounts from Pelican, part number 993-375-049-09-M270. So far, I am very pleased with them. As you can see, my original mounts were slightly past their prime.

And yes, I know I need to paint my rotors (next on the list).

Last edited by kylejohnston1; 12-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it all sorted and like it, It really does give you a great amount of clearance, almost looks odd without a big old rusty cat filling the space

Cute dog btw.

Cheers
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
...I initially had more of a fuel smell after installing the pipe. After sending my chip back to Steve Wong to be reprogrammed with the bypass pipe option, I am pleased to report the increased fuel smell has gone away. I already had a cup pipe and I've noticed what seem to be slight improvements in power and throttle response. Combine that with a deeper, more aggressive exhaust note and I could not be happier. I am a definite fan of the cup pipe/cat bypass combo...
I've been holding off getting a cat bypass because of the smell...didn't even thing about the effect a SW chip could have on the smell?

When I purchased my SW chip I went for the 93 octane, cat-bypass chip...so I'm ready to go if the smell isn't bad.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

I've been holding off getting a cat bypass because of the smell...didn't even thing about the effect a SW chip could have on the smell?

When I purchased my SW chip I went for the 93 octane, cat-bypass chip...so I'm ready to go if the smell isn't bad.
If you've already got the cat-bypass chip, I definitely think it is worth a shot! I can't guarantee you will have the same results but I'd say your chances are good. In my case, the fuel smell was not overwhelming before the chip was reprogrammed and I would have kept the cat bypass either with or without the faint smell.

Others have described it as almost unbearable so it seems to vary from car to car.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at that pics.. Is imposible to change the down valve gasket if you don't eliminate the Cat?? Was it difficult to loosen the screws?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Is imposible to change the down valve gasket if you don't eliminate the Cat?? Was it difficult to loosen the screws?
I adjusted my valves and changed the gaskets about a year ago when the motor was out of the car for a clutch replacement. I removed the cat to get access to the lower cover with the motor out so I'm pretty sure it would need to be removed with the motor in as well. Only 4 bolts at the front and 1 clamp at the rear though. I don't recall the bolts being too difficult either time I've removed it.

Quick Reply: Cat bypass and motor mount installation pics