Sponsored by:

New Wheels, Tyres, Fenders, Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxsey911
fantastic on a smooth race track but very skittish at the front on the road when hitting holes and bumps.
agree with that .... I wasn't expecting great handling on a rough road with 450/650 lbs springs! regardless of the height.

but the bump steer is a separate issue, right?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Which Coilovers did You use?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was originally set to RS specs all round (alignment and height when the KW3s were fitted). Absolutely fantastic on a smooth race track but very skittish at the front on the road when hitting holes and bumps. Now set at RS+5mm all round and is a lot more composed.
Hi Boxsey911,

Can you post a pic of your car at RS+5?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Felix964
Which Coilovers did You use?
JIC Cross ...

I ordered 8kg & 11kg. Box said 8kg & 10kg and box didn't look opened so not sure whether the rear is 10kg or 11kg.

Reaching that height at the front, there is only another 5 to 10mm of drop remaining before the height adjustment perch hits the spring perch (the spring perch is fixed during height adjustment).

At the rear, it is only approx 5mm from the lowest setting. In hindsight, I would do the following before installing the rear coilovers, just to provide some extra flexibility if needed .... quote from JIC ...

Make height 10mm low rear suspension top of nut please remove and under the pillow ball upper mount has two spacer. please remove one spacer you should be able to low down 15mm more. please make sure when you remove nut use high pressure air gun. low pressure gun does not remove easy and make damage seal and piston. need remove nut quick possible. same with hold tight bump stopper and rod by hand.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
agree with that .... I wasn't expecting great handling on a rough road with 450/650 lbs springs! regardless of the height.

but the bump steer is a separate issue, right?
In my book bump steer is the adverse effect of the susension components actively changing the toe of the wheels. At normal settings the effect of the suspension on the toe is gradual. As we lower the car we firm up the suspension and change the angles of the control arms so the changes in toe are quicker and more obvious over the same bumps and depressions. That's how I understand it anyway. Personally, I found it was a one wheel hitting a depression in the road that produced the most pronounced sensation of the car trying to steer itself.

@Daryl....I was surprised to find that I haven't taken a nice still shot of the 964 since I had the ride height adjusted to RS+5. Hopefully this track shot will do for now (even though I have just started to brake)

Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you like the wheels! If there is anything you need next time keep me in mind.

I have plenty left if anyone else in interested! Please contact me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Unkle
Pro

In my book bump steer is the adverse effect of the susension components actively changing the toe of the wheels. At normal settings the effect of the suspension on the toe is gradual. As we lower the car we firm up the suspension and change the angles of the control arms so the changes in toe are quicker and more obvious over the same bumps and depressions. That's how I understand it anyway. Personally, I found it was a one wheel hitting a depression in the road that produced the most pronounced sensation of the car trying to steer itself.

@Daryl....I was surprised to find that I haven't taken a nice still shot of the 964 since I had the ride height adjusted to RS+5. Hopefully this track shot will do for now (even though I have just started to brake)

Yeah thats bump steer, after having mk1 Golfs on stretched tires and sumps on the floor you tend to know what bump steer is. My 964 has it too and its about +10mm, not a lot though and only on the most servere roads, but its there.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, Tyres, Fenders, Coilovers