Sponsored by:

Engine Temp Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Temp Switch

How accessible is the Engine temp switch? I have some hunting when i first start up.

I think i might replace it, but from the elec cat i can't see if i need to remove the alternator or whether i remove the undertray. Any pics or ideas?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Head temp sensor is accessible from left, rear wheel well; although it's a bit of a job from there.

I have a pic on my laptop which I can dig out a bit later if you still need it.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks, I would like to see a pic, is it easy to do then? just remove the wheel?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Here's a pic; courtesy of one of the good folks here at Rennlist.

I've not changed the head temp sensor myself, but I understand that it's a bit fiddly to get at from within the wheel well.

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks very much,

Getting my bearings of where that is, would it be accessible with the heater fan removed? As i can't see how you get in the hole to remove it, unless its right at the hole edge. Or am i looking at it the wrong way and the end that goes through the grommet is to the plug and not the temp sensor?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

As I understand it you can get in through the grommet to remove the sensor; though, again, I've not done it so I can't really advise past where the access point is.

I do not believe it is accessible from the engine compartment at all.

Good luck getting it done.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensor is below the engine sheet metal (tins) on the front, lower side of head on cyl #3. Accessible only from underneath the car, not the engine compartment. Wire goes through rubber grommet in tin, into the engine compartment, and connects at bracket in left front of compartment.

It's a little more accessible than it appears in this photo, which is taken from the left rear wheel well.

Your real challenge will be getting the sensor out / new one in since it is recessed into the head and has a wire on it. There's not enough room to work an open-end wrench, and you can't get a socket or box end on it unless you cut the wire off. Trick is to buy a throw-away box end wrench, 14mm IIRC, and cut a slot in the outside edge just wide enough to slip the wire through it (kinda like a crow's foot). Then you can slip the wire through the opening and work the wrench down onto the sensor. If it's so tight that that the wrench begins to flex, carefully apply a little heat to the thread area.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks for the pics and explanation i will have a look it does sounds like a fair bit of faffin. I will have a little look but might just keep applying a little throttle after start up, just till the warmer weather.

Quick Reply: Engine Temp Switch