Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre recommendations for road and trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fear that we are all going to suffer from the issue of track tyres only being made for big wheels in the near future. It's almost impossible to now get Michelin pilot cups in 17 inch sizes in the UK and the news for us about these new Contis looks just as bad. The tyre manufacturers seem to consider that their market is with the GT3 boys and the like and that of course means 18 inch and upwards.

BTW the way, I have conti sport contact 2 for the road and Toyo R888 for the track. There is a huge difference in grip between the two on track. The Toyos, as long as they have some tread, outperform the contis even when the track is soaking wet. They also last longer than the contis when used on track. But as said before the Toyos are very, very noisy when used on the road and therefore are hard to live with on a daily basis. Unfortunately, it seems that it is also getting harder to get hold of Toyo R888s these days.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would seem that way unfortunately. I had decided to go for the Yoko AD08 (supposedly a little more suitable for road use than the R888 - quieter, better in the wet and longer lasting) only to find out that, for 17" wheels, they are not available sizes wider than 245 in the UK. Very annoying!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

You'll never be happy with compromise.

Get a set of second rims off eBay, any good 996/Boxster rim will fit your 964 for the track or in the UK, why not a nice set of Veloce RS rims?
Run these on Dunlop Dz03-G's which in independant tests are still the track tyre to have.
(They are around a second/minute laptime quicker than R-888's in tests)
Run medium compound front, Regular compound rear.
For the street, I have been still running a good road orientated semi slick. (R-Comp tyre construction but bigger blocks and good water dispersion)

These are next step down from Full R Spec and in my case i have been running Falken Azenis RT 615.
These are now out of date technology and I have driven many cars on the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Starspecs and they are phenomenal. I will be getting these for my next road tyres, no question.
For a full road tyre, I really like what is known in Australia as a Bridgestone Adrenelin Re-01.
Great tyre, god value and even the OEM snobs much prefer them on their cars to the Michelin/Conti's.

Hope that helps.

Remember to get a great alignment if you haven't done so and if you are going R-Specs and pushing on them, you MUST have plenty of camber or you WILL destory them. Also, usually run around 32psi HOT for most track tyres on a 911. Any higher and you will chew out the middle of the tyre. This means often starting at around 27-28psi cold, dependant on ambient and track temp and adjusting as soon as you pit from first session.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 AM
jamest
Instructor

Jimjacqmx5 - Having spent way too much time thinking about tyre alternatives over the past couple of days, I agree that I will not be happy with a compromise. Having two sets of wheels certainly seems to be the best way forward so I am going to look out for a cheap set for track and then go for some R comp tyres. For road, unfortunately, neither the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Starspecs or the Bridgestone RE-01's seem to be available in the UK so it looks as though I will be fitting Conti SC 3's or S02's. Thanks for all the advice, really helpful and much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Tyre recommendations for road and trackdays