Sponsored by:

Garage floor cleaner recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Garage floor cleaner recommendations

So I've spent the past few months getting into the DIY part of 964 ownership and have learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I've done all fluid changes, clutch slave cylinder, valve adjustment, spark plugs, distributor/rotors.

My garage floor is a mess.

What do you DIY guys use to get the oil and grease off the concrete floor?

thanks

Mike B

'91 C2 Coupe
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm with you, Mike.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a painted floor in my garage. I clean mine with Simple Green. Prior to painting it, I used TSP (available in your big box painting departments) to remove all of the grease and oils. I would try that.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an epoxy coated floor and just wipe it up or wash with Mr. Clean.

Marc
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I have a painted floor in my garage. I clean mine with Simple Green. Prior to painting it, I used TSP (available in your big box painting departments) to remove all of the grease and oils. I would try that.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I have an epoxy painted floor, like Marc. It cleans very easily. Most of the time just wipe it up. I use Simple Green for the "tougher" spills/drips.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spilled a load of old gearbox oil all over my drive in the summer. I tried a special 'driveway cleaner', and regular washing-up liquid with a stiff scrubbing brush and also a jet-washer, but nothing would shift the stain or strong oily smell.

PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS OUTSIDE - NOT INSIDE MY GARAGE!!

So, I took a 5 litre can of 'panel wipe solvent' and poured a couple of litres liberally over the stained area. Then I scrubbed the stain away using a stiff brush. I now had a driveway with solvent soaked in to the concrete and lots of oil lifted from the surface.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS WHAT I DID NEXT, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! AND I WOULDN'T DO IT INSIDE MY GARAGE!!

I put the lid on the can of panel wipe and put it somewhere safe - a long way away.

I then threw a lit match at the driveway. The flames at their highest were about 4 feet high. After all the solvent had burnt away - I had a clean drive way again.

Last edited by RSGulp; 11-08-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Edited to add my wife was out when I did this.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a painted floor, but it's not holding up very well. I'd love to strip it, clean it, and then paint again. The painted floor really takes any effort out of cleaning up a mess.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by RSGulp
I spilled a load of old gearbox oil all over my drive in the summer. I tried a special 'driveway cleaner', and regular washing-up liquid with a stiff scrubbing brush and also a jet-washer, but nothing would shift the stain or strong oily smell.

So, I took a 5 litre can of 'panel wipe solvent' and poured a couple of litres liberally over the stained area. Then I scrubbed the stain away using a stiff brush. I now had a driveway with solvent soaked in to the concrete and lots of oil lifted from the surface.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS WHAT I DID NEXT, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! AND I WOULDN'T DO IT INSIDE MY GARAGE!!

I put the lid on the can of panel wipe and put it somewhere safe - a long way away.

I then threw a lit match at the driveway. The flames at their highest were about 4 feet high. After all the solvent had burnt away - I had a clean drive way again.
Your neighbors must love you.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good DIY epoxy floor kit? The one at Home Depot looks cheesy.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I used Griots Garage's paint. Its held up well for 5 years. I have some spots where its either chipped or lifted but in general, I'm happy. Note: Epoxy painted floors are very slippery when wet. If I were to do it again, I would try for a non-slip additive, mentioned in the installation instructions.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...2C+1+gallon.do
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks, this is exactly the information I have been looking for. Now to cut down the trees lining the drive and I will be set.

Originally Posted by RSGulp

Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

"Honey, why is the driveway on fire?"
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Originally Posted by Moffman
Your neighbors must love you.
They've all moved away.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
gsnyder828
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I used Griots Garage's paint. Its held up well for 5 years. I have some spots where its either chipped or lifted but in general, I'm happy. Note: Epoxy painted floors are very slippery when wet. If I were to do it again, I would try for a non-slip additive, mentioned in the installation instructions.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...2C+1+gallon.do
I also used the Griot's epoxy over 7 years ago. It's showing wear, but has held up very well for the most part.

To get up bad oil stains prior to laying the epoxy - I used a can (or 3) of Brake Cleaner and a scrub brush in the bad spots in addition to TSP and other cleaners for the whole floor. It worked well - I've had minimal lifting.

geoff
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I've seen that you should etch the floor with acid to get rid of all the chemicals from tires, oil, and other leeched compounds

Quick Reply: Garage floor cleaner recommendations