Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

Hi all, I'm a long time member but not a regular poster, though I'm a regular reader of the forums!

I have just had all new brake discs and pads fitted front and back along with new braided hoses, replacement of some corroded brake lines and new fluid. The brakes feel great but they squeal and squeak like crazy, even when I'm not actually braking!

The discs and pads are all standard spec so no racing compound pads. The noises go away after a few good stamps on the pedal but return after a few low speed stops.

It's the loud squeak as I'm driving that bugs me most. Any ideas why or how to stop it? I'm hoping the pads are just glazing up and it will stop after a few hundred miles but after nearly 200 miles it shows no sign of getting better so far and if anything is worse!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they fit the antisqueal shims (look like mushrooms)? If not, did they put brake paste on the back of the pads? If they did either of those and it is intermittent there is a chance that they broke a handbrake shoe retaining spring when fitting the rear discs which can cause a squeal.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 532 Posts

Did you bed-in the pads?

Look here for good advice:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Originally Posted by StanUK951
The brakes feel great but they squeal and squeak like crazy, even when I'm not actually braking!
Just read this again. If the squealing is coming from the back only, boxsey911 could be right in that a handbrake shoe retaining spring is broken.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

I didn't have the chance to bed them in properly in London traffic! I did go out and do a few stops from 80 to about 15-20mph but only about 4. I think I will try the bedding in process mentioned on the link and see.

I don't think it's a mechanical 'failure' as such like the handbrake. Also 99% sure the shims, etc. have been fitted. The garage is one of the good indys and they're on my invoice!

Will let you know if the bed in cures it...!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

I had a high break squeal, I had new Texxtar, I changed for ATE and problen solved.. I put anti squeal shims too.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal