Sponsored by:

Dyno tune information

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune information

This may be some where in the archives of this forum, however, I could not find it.
I am getting the car dyno tuned locally by a Subaru indy, mostly because he is the only AWD dyno within 70 miles of where I live. He has great reviews and has done numerous P-cars, unfortunately none have been stock. We had trouble finding the info needed for his computer so that he could read my cars system.

Question A:
What information do I need to get for him besides the fact that it is an 89 964 3.6?
Do I just need to get the number off of the DME?

Question B:
Where can we find it?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

He won't read the P-car's DME as the '89 is not OBD2 complient. Our car requires either a Hammer, a specific Porsche computer (actual name escapes me), Durametric or a Scantool to read codes.

What exactly are they trying to read off of the DME?

However, any 4 wheel dyno can be used to get HP, torque, Air/Fuel outputs throughout the RPM band. The dyno input that I'm aware is what gear gives a 1/1 engine to wheel speed (usually 4th gear).
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ian89C4
This may be some where in the archives of this forum, however, I could not find it.
I am getting the car dyno tuned locally by a Subaru indy, mostly because he is the only AWD dyno within 70 miles of where I live. He has great reviews and has done numerous P-cars, unfortunately none have been stock. We had trouble finding the info needed for his computer so that he could read my cars system.

Question A:
What information do I need to get for him besides the fact that it is an 89 964 3.6?
Do I just need to get the number off of the DME?

Question B:
Where can we find it?

Thanks
The dyno operator ought to need the gear ratio of the gear used and the final drive ratio as well as the rolling radius of the tires. If these things aren't used the data will be bogus

The best dyno to use is a Dyna-Pak as that eliminates the need for tire radius and there will be no drama as well as really meaningful results as long as the inputs are correct
Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Good info, thanks!

He said that he needed to find the software for his computer so that he could read the fuel/air mixture as well as HP and torque. I am ignorant on this stuff, so he had me guessing.

Is there any particular software that he needs, or should it just be a plug and play?

I don't think you can tune the ECU unless it is chipped, but you should just be able to plug in and get all of the mapping, is that correct?

Thank you for the assistance, and the patience

Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ian89C4
Good info, thanks!

He said that he needed to find the software for his computer so that he could read the fuel/air mixture as well as HP and torque. I am ignorant on this stuff, so he had me guessing.

Is there any particular software that he needs, or should it just be a plug and play?

I don't think you can tune the ECU unless it is chipped, but you should just be able to plug in and get all of the mapping, is that correct?

Thank you for the assistance, and the patience

Most dynos have separate wide band O sensor that is shoved up one of the exhaust pipes. The stock O sensor is not wideband and does not function meaningfully at wide open throttle. I don't understand how this dyno can get a meaningful afr w/o a separate wide band O sensor
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Thank you for the very timely responses!

I guess I am still not phrasing the question correctly.
Lets start at the beginning.
I do not know the exact brand of Dyno he has, he advertises it as an all wheel drive mustang dyno, however, he mostly dyno's very high HP subaru's and mitsubishi evo's on it.
I know that the P-car shop plugs into the plug in the passenger foot well to get their diagnostics on the car.
1) is this the same place that the dyno shop will plug in at?
2) does he even need to plug in there to read the RPM ranges and info from the car?
3) If he has to plug into the car itself, what exactly is it reading?
4) What software is needed to interface with the car? Will a standard diagnostics reader give him the information that is needed to create the HP and Torque curves?

I am not trying to play with the mapping of the car, from the little I have read, you can't really play with the stock set up all that much. Again, from what I understand, you need a chip (ex. steve wong) to do that. I only want to get base line data to figure out where I am at as a starting point.

The learning curve is very high for me here, thanks for the help!!

Ian
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the 964's lambda sensor isn't of the wide band type, plugging in to its readings during a dyno run is rather meaningless. I presume you still have a cat fitted, which makes a tailpipe mounted wide band sensor that most dyno shops have meaningless as well since you need to measure before cat.

Contrary to what you believe a competent dyno shop can play around with mapping in a meaninful way, for this the correct emulator software is necessary.....oh and a bunch of experience with setting up 964's is handy as well;-)
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

I know that the P-car shop plugs into the plug in the passenger foot well to get their diagnostics on the car.
1) is this the same place that the dyno shop will plug in at?
No
2) does he even need to plug in there to read the RPM ranges and info from the car? No
3) If he has to plug into the car itself, what exactly is it reading? He will get engine RPM from a coil or plug wire.
4) What software is needed to interface with the car? Durametric or the like.
Will a standard diagnostics reader give him the information that is needed to create the HP and Torque curves? No, HP and torque are measured/calculated by the dyno. All it really needs is the tires to spin the rollers and an RPM input.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
ian89C4
Pro

ValveFloat:

Thank you for the information!!!! I will run it by the shop and see what he says.

EvoDerby:

I did not know that you could mess around with it. I will keep that in line for when I look to tune it a little better. Good call on the Cat issue.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune information