Sponsored by:

Two DIY's few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two DIY's few questions.

So I have two small things I'm going to try to fix, one I'm replacing the back right section of the tail light, and two the glovebox won't close so I'm going to take it apart and see whats wrong.

I've never really worked on cars before and was reading some warnings about messing with the glovebox without turning the airbags off anyone know if this is true, and if so how would I go about doing this.

And second with the tail light it seems very simple, looks like I just swap it out and place plugs where they went in the old tail light or is it something more advanced?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Dont know about the glovebox but the tail light is simple as you like

One screw to remove and then just remove the plugs and place them in the new fitting
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
Dont know about the glovebox but the tail light is simple as you like

One screw to remove and then just remove the plugs and place them in the new fitting
Ah great now just the glovebox.

What happened was I was driving and all the sudden it popped open and the "fork" that is supposed to be on the top compartment was in the latch so I tried putting the fork back in the top comppartment and it like fell behind it into the top of the glovebox.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've removed my entire knee guard/glove box without touching the airbag. To be safe, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes prior to working on it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went thru that with my glove box door all summer. I put the fork thing back in, tighten the screws, it would seem fine then after a couple uses the fork would fall out again.

To retrieve the fork, if it hasn't gone too far, you might be able to get at by loosening the inside of the glove box. There are 4 or so screws inside that hold the lining in place.

I eventually got the fork to stay in place, fingers crossed.
There is a triangular piece in the latch (#40) that seems to be what is supposed to hold the fork (#38), I removed that and sharpened the part of it that contacts #38. When assembling, wedge a small flat screwdriver or something against #40 so that it is pressing hard on #38 and tighten the screws. Seems to be working for me so far.
I think the latch was designed by an intern or something...

Originally Posted by Moffman
Ah great now just the glovebox.

What happened was I was driving and all the sudden it popped open and the "fork" that is supposed to be on the top compartment was in the latch so I tried putting the fork back in the top comppartment and it like fell behind it into the top of the glovebox.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've removed my entire knee guard/glove box without touching the airbag. To be safe, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes prior to working on it.
Hmm well just to be sure how do you disconnect the battery?

And the tail light was thankfully very simple just finished it although the white "gel" looking tube that connects to the tail light got clipped somehow no Idea how I gently moved the light into place and then I pulled it back and the tubes top was sliced, luckily it wasn't much and was still able to be placed on, where does the gel tube lead anyway?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
I went thru that with my glove box door all summer. I put the fork thing back in, tighten the screws, it would seem fine then after a couple uses the fork would fall out again.

To retrieve the fork, if it hasn't gone too far, you might be able to get at by loosening the inside of the glove box. There are 4 or so screws inside that hold the lining in place.

I eventually got the fork to stay in place, fingers crossed.
There is a triangular piece in the latch (#40) that seems to be what is supposed to hold the fork (#38), I removed that and sharpened the part of it that contacts #38. When assembling, wedge a small flat screwdriver or something against #40 so that it is pressing hard on #38 and tighten the screws. Seems to be working for me so far.
I think the latch was designed by an intern or something...
Hmm I'll give that a go thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Hmm well just to be sure how do you disconnect the battery?
Open the front trunk, lift up the carpeting. You will see the battery on the right, near your feet. Disconnect the negative/ground/black cable from the battery. Then wait 30 minutes for the electrical charge to diminish. Then you are good to proceed.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Lil bastard
User

The Tube you clipped is a necessary piece, it runs to the center panel and from there to the air intake. It prevents the taillights from fogging due to moisture accumulation.

You don't need the specific Porsche tube, any rubber tubing of the proper size will work, but I'd replace it as soon as possible to prevent moisture and possible shorts to the lights - you want people to know when you're braking etc.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
The Tube you clipped is a necessary piece, it runs to the center panel and from there to the air intake. It prevents the taillights from fogging due to moisture accumulation.

You don't need the specific Porsche tube, any rubber tubing of the proper size will work, but I'd replace it as soon as possible to prevent moisture and possible shorts to the lights - you want people to know when you're braking etc.

Cheers!
Well its not cut or anything theres a slight nip but it still fits fine over the tube so is it necessary? To be honest I have no idea where it leads and it looks like something I might not be able to do myself replacing it.

Also: how hard is it to remove the passenger seat and install it? Theres not alot of room to tinker with the glovebox its quite cramped.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it goes to the heater tube on the left side. It plugs into the big black plastic tube
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Well its not cut or anything theres a slight nip but it still fits fine over the tube so is it necessary? To be honest I have no idea where it leads and it looks like something I might not be able to do myself replacing it.

Also: how hard is it to remove the passenger seat and install it? Theres not alot of room to tinker with the glovebox its quite cramped.
The seats are a breeze - 6 Allen head bolts hold it in. Scooter the seat all the way back and you'll see the front 2 (one on each slider). Then, slide the seat all the way forward, tilt the seatback forward, and you'll see the remaining 4 (2 on each slider). When you pull the seat out, make sure anddisconnect the electrical connectors under the seat before you rip them out!

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by ChaseN
The seats are a breeze - 6 Allen head bolts hold it in. Scooter the seat all the way back and you'll see the front 2 (one on each slider). Then, slide the seat all the way forward, tilt the seatback forward, and you'll see the remaining 4 (2 on each slider). When you pull the seat out, make sure anddisconnect the electrical connectors under the seat before you rip them out!

Good luck!
Wow that simple eh?
I thought this stuff was going to be alot more intricate
Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Wow that simple eh?
I thought this stuff was going to be alot more intricate
You haven't done a valve adjust yet, have you?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by ChaseN
You haven't done a valve adjust yet, have you?
I can't say I have haha.

Quick Reply: Two DIY's few questions.