Sponsored by:

Cost effect 964 race exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost effect 964 race exhaust?

Hey everyone, I've tried to do a few searches about exhausts and I thought I had everything sorted out. I was going to buy this exhaust as it was the most cost effective full exhaust system I could find: http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...s)-2-exit.html

But... bad news is that FVD doesn't manufacture this anymore. I was wondering if anyone else knew of any exhaust systems that were relatively free flowing (this is going on a 3.8 with big valves). That would be relatively cost effective. I have no aspirations of keeping the heating system as I live in California and cold days are not all that common. My primary concerns are lightness and power. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are sound restrictions a consideration?

Marc
Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewLang
Hey everyone, I've tried to do a few searches about exhausts and I thought I had everything sorted out. I was going to buy this exhaust as it was the most cost effective full exhaust system I could find: http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...s)-2-exit.html

But... bad news is that FVD doesn't manufacture this anymore. I was wondering if anyone else knew of any exhaust systems that were relatively free flowing (this is going on a 3.8 with big valves). That would be relatively cost effective. I have no aspirations of keeping the heating system as I live in California and cold days are not all that common. My primary concerns are lightness and power. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Hey, Andrew. How did your rebuild work out? I haven't seen any posts on your thread. I'm anxious to compare since I think we had similar paths on rebuilds. Hope it has gone well.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

In my opinion (not a very popular one probably) the most cost effective solution is a used B&B 1.75" header system with a B&B muffler. Say what you will about old school B&B mufflers that have had some welds crack.. I have yet to find a complete solution for the same money. I have bought several setups in this configuration for around $1200. Again, it is used equipment and you may have to shop for several weeks to find it, but I'm a pretty big fan.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The used b&b is the "cheap" setup, they made a lot if them but you'll have to keep an eye out. Also the best setup you can sometimes find is a set of S Car Go headders/rsr setup, they will make more power but may be harder to find...
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewLang

I have B&B on mine w/ both 3.6 & 3.8 , the headers are ok, nothing special, the mufflers suck, Fabspeed would be a much better choice for both the headers and muffler.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do a search on George's European headers, have been highly recommended by the top tuners.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I have B&B on mine w/ both 3.6 & 3.8 , the headers are ok, nothing special, the mufflers suck, Fabspeed would be a much better choice for both the headers and muffler.
Say what you will about the B&B mufflers, but I NEVER had as many compliments on the sound of my car before the B&B. The only thing that came close was a gutted flowmaster, but it was way too loud, and required constant attention.

Here's a link if you want to hear what it sounds like:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...nds-autox.html

It's funny how opinions are like noses... I'm sure there are pleanty of reasons to like the fabspeed parts, but they really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

As far as accusing B&B of being cheap.... I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

If I was spending real money I would look into a euro style (S Car go), a stepped design, or the piece made by RarelyL8. That's not what the OP asked.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's wrong with working with an experienced professional who has worked with all the systems, and can best suit the exhaust to the engine?

That said, I've presently got a GHL/stock cat/stock muffler setup on my 3.8, and can't tell any difference from the GHL/bypass/Fabspeed mufflers. Data and lap time verified.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What's wrong with working with an experienced professional who has worked with all the systems, and can best suit the exhaust to the engine?
Capital idea,.....

Those are the folks who have dyno'ed many systems and can provide a system that works.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Sorry, off topic....but I watched the video and now I have to see pics of the car! Please start a new thread and tell us about your set up, suspension also.
BTW, I went to KU and loved visiting KC, there are some great roads all around Lawrence. Free State Brewery!

----------------------------
I should put it in my sig...
3.6 conversion. 964 motorsports crank, 12:1 JE pistons, pauter long rods, GT3 oil pump, 3.8 RSR heads and cams, ITB injection w/ autronic management. 1.75" B&B headers with heat and B&B 2 in 2 out.

whew, that was a mouthful. The car is a frankenstein. Should be stock gearing for an 89.

---------------------------
Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Say what you will about the B&B mufflers, but I NEVER had as many compliments on the sound of my car before the B&B. The only thing that came close was a gutted flowmaster, but it was way too loud, and required constant attention.

It's funny how opinions are like noses... I'm sure there are pleanty of reasons to like the fabspeed parts, but they really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

As far as accusing B&B of being cheap.... I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

If I was spending real money I would look into a euro style (S Car go), a stepped design, or the piece made by RarelyL8. That's not what the OP asked.
Sure B&B mufflers sound nice, the last 3 I had drew lote of favorable comments the issue is twofold
1) the falkl apart, I went through at least 5 of their mufflers before giving up. I replaced the last B&B ~10 yrs ago and still have the replacement muffler on the car.
2) to get the sound they have a full size driver side outlet but a dime sized passenger side outlet(hidden from casual observation of course). I bought a dual exhaust not a faux dual exhaust. 911 respond well to a lack of back pressure

Fabspeed sound great and have a better design too. Are they as good as a custom or S-Car-go header, probably not, but value for the money, yep

If you want heat the Fabspeed can be configured for it. Rarely's looks interesting and probably works well but I would like to see longer primaries, the stepped designs I've seen have been sized more for 3 and 3.2 liters, haven' t seen one sized for 3.6-4.0 yet
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 AM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Looks like I completely missed out on this discussion. I need to get that e-mail notification working! In any case, I wasn't too concerned about sound. I have a 3" single pipe exhaust on my race car with a single muffler and I never thought it was too loud on the street. The B&B option sounds like it would be up my alley but I'd hate to be shopping around for weeks on end just to find a used exhaust for 1200 or so. I found this system online which seems to be the cheapest thing I've run across and it looks like fairly good quality: http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...ngexhaust.html Has anyone else used the NHP exhaust system?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Fabspeed RSR set up with headers and dual in dual out muffler, and couldn't be happier. Sound is fenomenal, especially above 7,000 rpm.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fly911
I have the Fabspeed RSR set up with headers and dual in dual out muffler, and couldn't be happier. Sound is fenomenal, especially above 7,000 rpm.
Cost effective is a primary concern, that kit is $2,495. The kit I mentioned above is significantly cheaper and is almost the same setup minus the ability to go to straight pipes instead of the muffler (I doubt many people do this anyway).

Quick Reply: Cost effect 964 race exhaust?