Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel change (very easy, with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Steering wheel change (very easy, with pics)

My steering wheel recently developed a hole in the leather where my wedding ring rests on the rim (had a good joke with the wife about the symbolism of that...). So after doing the usual Rennlist search (Another DIY: Replacing your turn signal assembly), the whole procedure looked pretty easy...

I thought I would add some pictures of the process for those that are interested? The words are taken from our esteemed moderator, Marc Shaw's turn signal thread (in the DIY section). I really couldn't add anything to what he said, so I'll borrow some of his words and show you my pictures:

"Disconnect the battery and wait a minimum of 20 minutes to be able to safely remove the airbag.

Using a T-30 screwdriver, undo the two Torx screws behind both sides of the steering wheel to remove the airbag.

The airbag the can be lifted out. Unplug the connector and safely store the airbag facing upwards out of the reach...

Turn the steering wheel to center the wheels and mark TDK using a permanent marker on the end of the steering shaft.

Then undo the center nut (pointed out in red below) using a 15/16" socket with an extension. Remove the nut and washer then lift the steering wheel off of the steering shaft."
Attached Images        
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where's the rest??? what are you replacing it with? 993 3-point wheel!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawk911
where's the rest??? what are you replacing it with? 993 3-point wheel!!!
Good point Hawk! Found an exact replacement at a dismantler (and a couple awesome RLers also pm'd me with wheels...thanks guys!).

I did search around this forum and saw some awesome ungraded steering wheels that other members had put on there cars! I was really tempted to ditch the airbag system and get a Momo wheel or a 993 steering wheel and airbag...but at the end of the day I didn't want to lose the airbag (if it was an '89 sans bag or RS, then ok) on a primarily street driven car or spend $800+ on such a minor cosmetic improvement...

...instead I'm putting the money into getting my car ready for my first DE events this fall! Brake pads, Motive bleeder and helmet are on the way!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Redcoat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped my airbag wheel out for a MOMO, used the bridge plug thingy.

My '64 now feels like a proper sports car
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Good point Hawk! Found an exact replacement at a dismantler (and a couple awesome RLers also pm'd me with wheels...thanks guys!).

I did search around this forum and saw some awesome ungraded steering wheels that other members had put on there cars! I was really tempted to ditch the airbag system and get a Momo wheel or a 993 steering wheel and airbag...but at the end of the day I didn't want to lose the airbag (if it was an '89 sans bag or RS, then ok) on a primarily street driven car or spend $800+ on such a minor cosmetic improvement...

...instead I'm putting the money into getting my car ready for my first DE events this fall! Brake pads, Motive bleeder and helmet are on the way!

FYI - Some people have swapped the airbags OUT of their DE / track 964's, as some have had their airbags blow due to heavy vibrations from hitting the rumble strips at speed.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoKart
FYI - Some people have swapped the airbags OUT of their DE / track 964's, as some have had their airbags blow due to heavy vibrations from hitting the rumble strips at speed.
Thanks for the visual GoKart!

It's my first DE, so I plan to drive steady and smooth...I'm sure hitting the rumble strips wouldn't impress my instructor. It's at VIR, what a meaty track!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Thanks for the visual GoKart!

It's my first DE, so I plan to drive steady and smooth...I'm sure hitting the rumble strips wouldn't impress my instructor. It's at VIR, what a meaty track!
Not to scare you, sorry. Just something to be aware of.

You can hit the rumble strips when driving extremely well, also... generally because you're apexing correctly and pushing out to the edges when you use the whole width of the track. Depends on the track.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to pull mine off. I think the ghost of Ferry Porsche lives there. It goes whooohoooohooo sometimes.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Rob or anyone,

What's the deal with this? Do you have any photos or links? I've read about it but haven't seen pictures to make it extra obvious to me.

"I just swapped my airbag wheel out for a MOMO, used the bridge plug thingy."
Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

[QUOTE=c didy;7963263]Rob or anyone,

What's the deal with this? Do you have any photos or links? I've read about it but haven't seen pictures to make it extra obvious to me.

"I just swapped my airbag wheel out for a MOMO, used the bridge plug thingy"

What you need is :

Part # G92861222000-Bridge plug

Part # G96465210400 Steering whl contact

Plus the correct Momo steering wheel hub adapter - MO-7004

I got the bridge plug and contact via Auto Atlanta , IIRC there was a back order delay for the plug of 4 weeks.

Pretty easy install, link below to Joeybagadonuts original post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...made-easy.html

Makes a big difference to the driving experience in my humble opinion
Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
RSGulp
Racer

For safety's sake I would add to your instructions:

After loosening the center nut, leave it screwed onto the shaft for a couple of turns before pulling the steering wheel towards you to dislodge it. Then completely remove the nut and steering wheel. ( This way you won't break your nose when the steering wheel suddenly let's go of the shaft. )
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Is there a way to do it WITHOUT cutting the airbag wiring (or any other wiring, for that matter) ?

I like plug 'n' play, so that the car can be returned to original condition easily.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

RSGulp, excellent point, I'm just the guy that needs that kind of advice too.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

GoKart: apparently, if I read this correctly, with this you disable both bags and do not have to cut the wire. (Poached from the 4 or 5 page long, but useful, old Joeybagadonuts post.)

"the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. It was what the factory used for the Cup cars. Installation is simple and reversible. There is a carpet covered door on the passenger side of the centre console. Inside you will find a wide connector with an orange coloured tamper proof seal. Break the seal, pull the connector apart and insert the bridge plug. Both bags are now disabled (a good thing in my opinion). You do not need to mess with the wiring at the steering wheel, just tuck it away. On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys. I did have to wait for it to come from Germany which took about 6 weeks but your local dealer may have better luck.

The 928.612.220.00 number plug bridges the circuitry disconnects both airbags.

The location of the plug is shown on Sheet 15 of the 911 Carrera 2/4 Model '92 wiring diagrams in the factory manual.

It bridges terminals 3 and 4 in the T6 connector in the forward section of the center console, access door on passenger side. It is held with an orange clip.

With this plug installed the warning lights do not come on.

If you install this make sure any subsequent owner of car knows the airbags are disconnected or better yet, reactivate the airbags. Not fair for one to think they have airbags when they don't, and they may become rather testy if they find out the hard way..."
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Really good information c didy! (also big thanks to Joey for his post)

This looks like a simple way to deactivate the airbag for track use (rumble strips) or if younger person is sitting in the front (child seat/booster).

Quick Reply: Steering wheel change (very easy, with pics)