Sponsored by:

Down hill spiral of faults

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 PM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down hill spiral of faults

Hi, had my 964 C4 Targa (1991) for a good 8 years and had my fair share of things needing replacement. But recently things are becoming more difficult for me to keep ontop of.
First the Air con has gone down and thats just too expensive to 'convert then refill' then the front bonnet cable went then a week later the engine one followed. Then the heater rear fan started fowling the case, making a noise when I wanted hot air. Noise has now stopped, but so has the hot air.
Then the other day driving out first thing in the morning the car seemed juddery and the traction control light was permanently on, which stopped after about 4 mins (this is after the normal fill up time on start up). 5 mins later the axel (can't remember what its called) warning light came on. I pulled over turned the ignition off & on again and it went away, until the same the next morning. Now the pad wear indicators have come on, and at my last MOT they said all four discs would need replacing soon.
WHERE do I start!!??
Pads the the heater? and move on to the axel issue?
I'm seriously thinking of selling my car now as Family life etc are exerting pressures.
Any advice on what you guys would recommend and is it normal for the rear blower to just stop working if the bearings have gone in the fan or is it just a fuse?

Thanks for reading through my depression!

Kosh
Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

for safety reasons I'd start with the disks, you need to stop then work on the things that make it go.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all sounds like pretty normal stuff.

What happened to the AC?

Brakes, they only slow you down.

I would just start with the thing(s) that if let go will do the most amount of collateral damage.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the cost of replacement parts on the C4 system, my priority would be sorting out those faults.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:02 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

C4?

If the juddering is a reult of a problem with the longitudinal and transverse sensors on the all wheel drive controls, that needs to be fixed immediately with the pads. You can search for posts on cleaning them as fouling is a common problem. Pray they don't need replacing.

If the bearings on the rear fan are out, the squirrel cage fan will rub on the housing and blow the fuse new fuses may last a second or a week, but the bearings or entire motor will have to be replaced. If you can go without heat, repair can wait.

Don't get me started on A/C's! IMO 911 A/C's, at least 70's and 964's, are crap.

I know how you feel when it seems your 964 is falling apart faster than you can push the parts up into a pile, especially if you're getting pressure from home. Hang in there if you can. If not, your issues are not that overwhelming to some of us DIY'ers and someone here might give you a good price if everything else is in good shape.

Quick Reply: Down hill spiral of faults