Sponsored by:

Ac fan belt slips

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ac fan belt slips

After 6 years of not running my ac, I decided to hook it back up today. It was about that long ago that I switched it over from r12 to freeze, but ran into a problem back then, so I just pulled the belt, and have enjoyed just cruising with the windows down (and a few extra HP). I can't remember that I ever used the ac when it was r12.

The issue back then and now, is that when I accelerate over 4000 rpm I feel a strong shuttering. I was thinking it was the belt slipping but I do not smell burnt rubber. The system seems to cool just fine under 4000 rpm, but who likes driving that way? Tightening the belt to an unreasonable level does not change things (ie: it is not a belt tightening issue)

Is the ac clutch suppose to turn off upon acceleration, or does this sound like a bad ac clutch or compressor?

Tom
Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be a weak clutch or it could also be overcharged.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Did you check the tension on the AC belt? Its adjustable via a bolt under the compressor. Its not easily seen but you can feel it. Its a standard 8mm bolt with a stop nut. You loosen the nut and tighten the bolt to tighten the belt.

Quick Reply: Ac fan belt slips