Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Door Locking - Handle and Cylinder

'listers,

My driver door locking mechanism (cylinder the key slides into as part of the door handle) is starting to get lose and have a lot of slop and play. The shop says I need to replace the cylinder, which is a pre-cut component from Porsche and will cost $400. I don't feel like spending that kind of $$$ right now and was hoping someone here has a cheaper solution to fix the key lock.

FYI - All the electronics work fine, but the locking cylinder is gradually getting worse.

An alternative I was thinking about is to install a cheap remote entry system. Based on some of the old threads here, it seems quite easy. With this I wouldn't need to use the door key lock, so this would side step the issue at least for a while - I believe. Does this thinking have any unforseen problems that you are aware?

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

How worn is your key? Perhaps getting a new key made would help. When I bought my coupe, it came with just 1 key. I had the dealer make a new one. The new key feels better when it operates both the door and ignition locks.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a good thought Rob. I'll take a look at the keys, but the cylinder slides around (meaning in and out as well as side to side).
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

This may be a dumb suggestion but couldn't you switch the passenger and driver locks? My passenger side lock is in much better shape than the drivers side.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Swftii,

There is a small grub screw holding everything together on the other end of the cylinder inside the door. It sounds like it may be loose and if it falls out your cylinder will just rotate in the door handle.
Take the inner door panel off and the plastic covering then use an 8mm socket/ring spanner with much contortionist type activity undo the two nuts holding the door handle on and then you will see the little screw holding it all together.
May be worth a try and doesn't cost a thing!

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Door Locking - Handle and Cylinder