Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
@ Computamedic

And the answer to my questions is?
I thought I'd answered it. The spacer issue with VWs is merely to adapt the wheel fittings to suit a different bolt pattern so a minimum spacer width is all that's required. The issue with the 964 is very different in that the spacers may be required to change the offset of the wheel to suit the hub/bearing design.

If you follow the link I gave in the previous answer you'll see that Design 911 (among others) sell spacers from 3mm up to 75mm for fitment to Porsche.

Spacers of 15mm - 18mm are very common on 964s, the very big (75mm) spacers are more common on the older (pre-'89) cars to adapt for use with later wheels, particularly with wide body conversions.

I hope that answers the question.

Regards

Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I understand the PCD and ET settings and the relevant applications this applies, however regardless of companies selling spacers, I just wanted to know if there is any info on the lever point load on the bearing, as its extended from the hub/bearing surface and this could cause premature wear. I don't think adding corner unsprung weight and potentially loading the bearing beyond its potential parameters is ideal. I may be wrong (probably) but the TUV papers and selling of the hub adaptor relate to the quality of the part itself and not the potential load extension on a bearing. We can all buy many things that are not ideal on cars, done that many times lol. I just worry about spacers, bearings and a car with a top speed of 160mph +

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Lil bastard
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the reason Porsche did not spec 18" wheels on the 964 was because of increased stress to the half shafts and CV joints.

They did sell 18's with the Turbo, but these had beefier CVs.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Classic II 18" on 964 C4