clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
bawmnot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems

Hey there,

The pcar has developed an issue with the clutch/gear changes.
  • Difficult to change into reverse, 1st and 2nd - have to push down very very hard to get these gears to engage.
  • The clutch bite is now very low to the floor.
  • The clutch pedal at rest is about 1/2 as close to the floor as the brake - when I pull it up it just falls down again.

I've searched the site and found kinda similar issues discussed previously, suggesting it may be a problem with the clutch slave cylinder. Is this the right area to be looking at, or is it something else? Cheers for any input.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Check your clutch pedal's roll pin. It may have broken. See #8 on this exploded view.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem for a while and it cured itself somehow. Someone suggested it was dirt on the TO bearing slider.

What does it do if you pump the peddle up?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM
bawmnot
Advanced

Thanks guys - it was indeed the roll pin, clutch now sweet.

While it was at the mechanic, also took the chance to install new front right wheel bearing. Driving back from the garage today I noticed the car has a slight drift to the left - presumably this replacement can knock the wheel alignment? I have a trackday this weekend but haven't got the time to redo the alignment - will go as is.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
gprosser
Instructor

Hi - just stumbled across this thread - good to see you solved it Andrew.

My gear engagement was iffy, especially 1st after a warm up. Solved with new engine mounts (used cheaper 993 mounts).

However, I also have play at the top of the pedal. replaced roll pin to no effect.

Pumped pedal after Makmov's suggestion, and has helped reduce the top of travel play.

Does this point to a slave cylinder problem??

Thanks, Gareth.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it's now sorted Andrew. I'd be surprised that a new wheel bearing could affect the geo of the car. Just see how it goes for a bit. Did they put your new RS engine mounts on too? If so, what do you think?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gprosser
Hi - just stumbled across this thread - good to see you solved it Andrew.

My gear engagement was iffy, especially 1st after a warm up. Solved with new engine mounts (used cheaper 993 mounts).

However, I also have play at the top of the pedal. replaced roll pin to no effect.

Pumped pedal after Makmov's suggestion, and has helped reduce the top of travel play.

Does this point to a slave cylinder problem??

Thanks, Gareth.
When you say you pumped the clutch, did you mean that you flushed and bled the clutch hydraulic system?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM
gprosser
Instructor

Hi - no - just pumped the pedal 15 or so times...

can't bleed the system, as my bleed screw has snapped off (was rusty) - need to wait until next service, and get it done then.

just wondered if it was pointing towards a new slave cylinder...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM
bawmnot
Advanced

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Glad to hear it's now sorted Andrew. I'd be surprised that a new wheel bearing could affect the geo of the car. Just see how it goes for a bit. Did they put your new RS engine mounts on too? If so, what do you think?
they very kindly did, and the difference is immense. no bum wobble under breaking, balance on a different planet compared to before - well pleased. engine noise is improved in the cabin also - not louder exactly, but more defined - really like it.

i guess the drift might be a tracking change rather than the geo? - either way, it's such a small change there's no real issue for this weekend. see you there mate
Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by gprosser
Hi - no - just pumped the pedal 15 or so times...

can't bleed the system, as my bleed screw has snapped off (was rusty) - need to wait until next service, and get it done then.

just wondered if it was pointing towards a new slave cylinder...
If I had a broken bleed screw on my slave cylinder, I would replace the entire cylinder. The cost of the slaves is not high and you have to remove the slave anyway to drill out the broken bleed. While you are at it, I would replace the slave's rubber hose too. They deteriorate over time. The slave part price is $80 and the hose is $30.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
gprosser
Instructor

Thanks Rob!!

My slave cylinder hose is looking like it has seen better days - so will be definitely replacing that.

Didn't realise that the slave cylinder was inexpensive - will also be getting that done.

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: clutch problems