Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better season for buying a coupe? Or totally random?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Regulatori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a better season for buying a coupe? Or totally random?

First of all, this is my first post here. I used to have a 79 SC and my dad had a 72E. After many years of owning other sports cars, the 911 bug has never gone away. Every time I buy something new I'm constantly comparing it to my old car..."The steering feels great...but still not as good as my old 911."

I'm looking for a 964 C2 Coupe with a few requirements.
-Black interior
-Manual transmission
-Any color but red (nothing against red, it's just that the only two red cars I've had were both hit/totaled by random drivers...I feel red is a bad color for me). I'm even fine with some of the pastel colors. I prefer a white/black/silver if given the choice.
-No cabriolet or targa. I used to have a targa but now just want a fixed roof.
-lower mileage (under or around 100K) but want full records/maintenance
-Under $20K

In the past I had an idea of what I wanted but ended up giving into certain areas (like getting a different interior color that I originally wanted) and always regretted it. So this time I'm being picky and sticking to it.

I've been casually looking for a few months but will be a lot more serious in the next month or so. I'm just a bit surprised that it's so hard to find a fixed roof C2 with a black interior. I figure that was one of the highest produced variants yet every time I search it's nothing but pages of cabriolets....and I'm not talking about local searches but nationwide.

Is the large amount of cabriolets mainly a summer thing? I'm hoping I might have better luck in fall.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem when I bought mine,found 2 cabriolet for sale (one tiptronic) but no Coupé with 5 speed, I finally got a C2 coupé manual but with blue interior (not so bad) Here the choice of cars is very narrow (Haven´t seen a 964 for sale for years, there are maybe 20-30 964 cars in the whole country)
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm considering roughly the same thing as you, Regulatori. My perfect car would be a white 92-94 C2 coupe, gray interior, 5spd, records, moderate mileage. Of course, there's some flexibility in my perfect world.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

I figured there was a lot of people looking for the same model. I was just hoping the cabriolet thing was more of a summer trend and I'll see a lot more coupes popping up in fall.

Please don't take this as a knock to you cabriolet/targa guys.....I absolutely loved my old targa. It's just that I'm in Seattle and need a bit more weatherproofing. Plus it's just one of those things where if you've already had one thing, you have to try the other.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coupes are just harder to find. Many have been snatched up for club racers and such.

Porsche didn't build a whole lot of 964s so there isn't as many around as the earlier SC/Carrera

IIRC there was just over 11,000 C2 coupes built world wide over the four year run of them.

I know when I bought my C4 Coupe I was trying to compair the one I was looking at to others but there was only one other C4 Coupe I could find for say in the entire country. However there was dozens of Cabs and Targas.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

So besides the usual places (autotrader/craigslist/samba/rennlist/pelicanparts/excellence/local PCA chapter/asking local shops), is there any other websites that might give me luck on finding a car? Maybe some hidden gems that aren't well known.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Yup, seen similar trends with 993's too.

Convertibles/tips/targas add a few $ in up front purchase price, and yield less than than their coupe counterparts when time comes to sell. This is a reflection of relative scarcity of good used coupes vs. market demand.

My thinking is that most new Porsche buyers are looking for cars to keep for less than 5 years (leases, etc.) A good many of these are first-time Porsche owners and are selecting among a number of viable alternatives in the performance/status market: BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Aston. The convertible and/or a cutting edge (ie. non-manual) transmission is a 'plus' for many of these buyers.

Once you get on the used market and are looking at 20 year old cars, you are dealing with a completely different demographic. Not much status driving an 'old' 964 when you can have a shiny new Blah Blah Blah with the roof cut off that does 0-60 in Blah Blah...

Stay the course, be patient, and good luck.

Best,

Matt
Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Regulatori
Instructor

Thanks
I'm actually considering a 993 now also because I had no idea they were so low priced now. I'm noticing that a lot of people that are selling the 964 C2 Coupes in the desirable options I prefer (black interior, white/black exterior), they typically want 20K-22K.....and I'm finding a lot of 95 993s for 25-27K which isn't that much more. I'll start including 993s to expand my search.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

I'm actually looking for a car so if anyone knows of any, please let me know.

Colors....I REALLY want white but other colors are fine (just no red)
Interior: Black
Lower miles
5spd

Just want a good driver...doesn't need to be a show queen.

I just missed this car and it would have been perfect!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1002778

So something similar to this.

Quick Reply: Is there a better season for buying a coupe? Or totally random?