Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is the throttle lift-off over steer on a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Cam Arnott
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a t-shirt that said 'The 911 divded the world into those that can drive, and the Rest"

I think these cars provide more feedback of what they are doing than just about anything else on the road. Recognising what the car is telling you its doing at any given time is the key to driving it well.

+100 on the other comments relating to driver training and learning the cars limits in a safe environment.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
carnumber6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the statement that learning to drive a 911 ruins you for other cars .. you just have to learn how each car likes to be treated .. so yes dont drive a Ford Fiesta like a 911 ...
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run billy HD's with pro kits and an aggressive street alignment. Lifting off mid corner isn't the end of the world with this 964, but cannot be excessive. Like any other car, sudden weight transfer to the front will most likely have you facing the other way quickly. I guess the point is, the 964 isn't wildly different than any other sports car when it comes to handling characteristics. The 6 GT3 however is quite a tricky beast to tame after driving the 964.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I wish you had tried a C4 before you purchased. I owned 3 mid-70's 911s before I bought my 89C4, and I now I take those high speed corners with confidence, especially in the wet. IN the 70s cars, I could usually see the pic of your car in my head when I went into corners too fast.

I once read that Porsche was beginning to get lawsuits because so many 911s were going off tail-first, and they were worried about a class action lawsuit. Whether that's true or not, they definitely built some understeer into the 964.

However, I've found my C4 to be amazingly better handling in the corners than the 70's cars. I know there have been some threads here complaining about the understeer on the track (and by the way, you can trick it by tapping the brakes on entrance to corners because the ABS takes precedence over the AWD and "shuts it off"), but for everyday spirited driving, it's great.

Glad to hear you injuries were not more serious and that you've got back up on the horse. What....I'm from Texas.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Do an AX, performance driving, skid pad. Learn what to expect and what it feels like BEFORE it starts to happen. You really do drive by the seat of your pants...your butt will tell you alot about what the car is going to do. As your experience increases YOU will tell the car what you want it to do.
Can't always predict it, but you'll start to feel the signs of loosing traction and when it happens it won't freak you out............as much!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

My feeling is that the 964 is MUCH better than the older cars. I have had a 1969 911E and it was very easy to have the rear get loose in a corner. You had to step on the gas to fix it. This is sometimes difficult when your first reaction is to lift the gas pedal. The 964 is very easy to control, and the ABS is great.

Quick Reply: How bad is the throttle lift-off over steer on a 964?