Sponsored by:

DME Relay and Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default DME Relay and Oil Level

So yesterday evening I got into the car and started her up. Then I realized I had forgotten to put the top down, so I stopped the engine and lowered the top (stupid design not being able to raise/lower the top while the engine is running). Anyways, after lowering the top the car would not start, just crank and crank. Of course I don’t have a spare DME Relay with me so I yank it and shake it. After numerous iterations of this and cranking and cranking, magically she starts and runs beautifully as she always does.

However, I noticed that after she warmed up, my oil level wasn’t as high as it normally is or what it was in the morning. Does anyone have any ideas as to why cranking the engine on/off for a while or the DME Relay problem would cause the oil level to show or be lower?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Lil bastard
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an issue with the top relay only working with the engine off at all, 15 sec. of your life in exchange for driving a drop-top Porsche, seems worth it to me.

The Oil level sensors in these cars are notoriously bad, and not to be trusted. Were you at idle? On level ground? Did you allow the engine to idle 30 sec. or more?

Most importantly, have you manually checked the oil level with the dipstick to be certain you haven't sprung a leak somewhere?

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Kuchar
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

so I stopped the engine and lowered the top (stupid design not being able to raise/lower the top while the engine is running).

I can help You with that, here You are: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...is-moving.html
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I don't have an issue with the top relay only working with the engine off at all, 15 sec. of your life in exchange for driving a drop-top Porsche, seems worth it to me.

The Oil level sensors in these cars are notoriously bad, and not to be trusted. Were you at idle? On level ground? Did you allow the engine to idle 30 sec. or more?

Most importantly, have you manually checked the oil level with the dipstick to be certain you haven't sprung a leak somewhere?

Cheers!
Yes, I checked the oil manually and correctly as I usually do. It just seems that right after this incident I was down a bit of oil from the morning.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuchar
so I stopped the engine and lowered the top (stupid design not being able to raise/lower the top while the engine is running).

I can help You with that, here You are: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...is-moving.html
I've read about this mod, but haven't performed it due to a number of articles on RL stating the warning lights for the top don't work properly after its implementation.

If this isn't true, then I would perform this mod. I've owned numerous Cabrios and none of them required the engine to be off. I understand having to be stopped, but off is crazy. Why would Porsche even design it this way?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
I've read about this mod, but haven't performed it due to a number of articles on RL stating the warning lights for the top don't work properly after its implementation.

If this isn't true, then I would perform this mod. I've owned numerous Cabrios and none of them required the engine to be off. I understand having to be stopped, but off is crazy. Why would Porsche even design it this way?
the warning lights work fine for me plus I can be moving about 10 mph and still raise the top. Mine was like that when I bought it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Kuchar
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie

Yes, there is one problem.
Every time You start the engine, cabrio top control light stays on.
You have only to push the cabrio top button for close if is closed, or for open when top is opened and then control light fading.
Ofcourse You can to turn the bulb.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuchar
Yes, there is one problem.
Every time You start the engine, cabrio top control light stays on.
You have only to push the cabrio top button for close if is closed, or for open when top is opened and then control light fading.
Ofcourse You can to turn the bulb.
Yes, that is what I heard. I would like to be able to open/close the top while the engine is on, but without having the light on and playing with the switch whenever I start the engine.

I guess you could say I want it to work as should've been designed.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carry a spare DME relay in the car !

Quick Reply: DME Relay and Oil Level