H&R Sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 AM
ratbag964
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Sway bars

Hi Guys,

my first post here after lurking for quite a while, so hello all : )

I've started sorting the handling of my '89 964 C4...It will almost certainly only get exercised on the country roads around where I live in Oxfordshire, which are fast but frequently bumpy, rutted and pot-holed.

With that in mind I've opted for the bilstein HD's (b6's) and the H&R green springs, I've bought a set of RS engine mounts, and will have the front re-bushed as well when the car goes in to have the work done in a couple of weeks.

My question is...is it worth upgrading to the H&R Sway bars while the car is in? Has anyone done this on a c4 with a similar set up to what I'll have? Will it noticably improve the handling?

Is there anything else suspension related that I've missed that I can do (aside from a strut-brace) that would make sense to get done while the car is in for this work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use the C2 ARB's I understand the rear is thicker and will help (although others will confirm)

And have a read of this if you can "Wringing out the C4" http://www.porsche964.nl/reviews/964-1992.php
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a strut brace on my C2 and noticed a much sharper turn in as soon as I took it for a test drive. An easy and relatively inexpensive mod IMO.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

I have koni sports and H&R reds and the H&R sway bars made a world of difference. I don't know how they would work with H&R Greens (I wouldn't go any softer than reds) but they transformed my car, and also they are adjustable which helps for the track. I'm running "hard" on the rear and "soft" on the front. Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM
ratbag964
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tuscany964
I have koni sports and H&R reds and the H&R sway bars made a world of difference. I don't know how they would work with H&R Greens (I wouldn't go any softer than reds) but they transformed my car, and also they are adjustable which helps for the track. I'm running "hard" on the rear and "soft" on the front. Hope that helps.
Hi, thanks for the reply...is this on a C2 or a C4?

Matt
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

c4! I would NOT recommend this setup on a c2. BTW proper wheel alignment is fundamental.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

c4! I would NOT recommend this setup on a c2. BTW proper wheel alignment is fundamental.
Why would you not recommend the set up for C2? I have HD+reds on C2 and am looking at sway bars next. I will use the Tarret adjustable drop links instead of stock one.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
ratbag964
AutoX

Ok, great...! Thanks for the the advice. Could you describe the effect on the handling? I've heard that predominantly they reduce the understeer tendencies along with less roll of course!

Matt
Old 08-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Why would you not recommend the set up for C2? I have HD+reds on C2 and am looking at sway bars next. I will use the Tarret adjustable drop links instead of stock one.
H&R sways for the C4 are 24mm F and 26mm R. I think 26mm at the rear would cause too much oversteer on a C2. You could always try setting the front on hard and rear on soft but if I had a C2 I would opt for Euro RS sways.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by ratbag964
Ok, great...! Thanks for the the advice. Could you describe the effect on the handling? I've heard that predominantly they reduce the understeer tendencies along with less roll of course!

Matt
At first I had switched to Koni sports, H&R reds and aggressive wheel alignment. This already reduced underteer and roll but the car was still very stable and somewhat reluctant to turn when on the power hard exiting a bend. Other than that the car was relatively fool proof and neutral.

Then I changed the sway bars (both F&R set on the softer setting) and the car was livelier but handling was similar - very safe and neutral with a slight whiff of understeer if you really wanted to get on the power hard & early.

So then I set the rear bar to the stiffer setting (and left the front on soft) and the car really came to life. It is much more adjustable and a whole lot more entertaining to drive.

Just a note - I never had any problems with the car (even stock) understeering into a corner, a bit of weight transfer easily takes care of that, but now it takes a much more delicate and precise touch and it is not such a forceful drive as before. It makes the drive that much more satisfying, if that makes any sense.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
ratbag964
AutoX

At first I had switched to Koni sports, H&R reds and aggressive wheel alignment. This already reduced underteer and roll but the car was still very stable and somewhat reluctant to turn when on the power hard exiting a bend. Other than that the car was relatively fool proof and neutral.

Then I changed the sway bars (both F&R set on the softer setting) and the car was livelier but handling was similar - very safe and neutral with a slight whiff of understeer if you really wanted to get on the power hard & early.

So then I set the rear bar to the stiffer setting (and left the front on soft) and the car really came to life. It is much more adjustable and a whole lot more entertaining to drive.

Just a note - I never had any problems with the car (even stock) understeering into a corner, a bit of weight transfer easily takes care of that, but now it takes a much more delicate and precise touch and it is not such a forceful drive as before. It makes the drive that much more satisfying, if that makes any sense.
Thanks! Sounds like exactly what I'm after!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

H&R sways for the C4 are 24mm F and 26mm R. I think 26mm at the rear would cause too much oversteer on a C2. You could always try setting the front on hard and rear on soft but if I had a C2 I would opt for Euro RS sways.
Thanks for the info. Are the Euro RS sways 24 mm F and 18 mm R? The car already appears to be on the edge of oversteer and I would like to reduce as much of the power oversteer as possible with sways. I just do not know enough about driving 911 on track to understand if the behaviour is normal. It is lower than US stock ride height (about RS + 15mm) with more agressive alignment than street.

If I read the PET correctly, the M030 came with 22 F and 20 R. Has anyone used M030 sways with Bilstein HD+H&R reds? Any feedback?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Thanks for the info. Are the Euro RS sways 24 mm F and 18 mm R? The car already appears to be on the edge of oversteer and I would like to reduce as much of the power oversteer as possible with sways. I just do not know enough about driving 911 on track to understand if the behaviour is normal. It is lower than US stock ride height (about RS + 15mm) with more agressive alignment than street.

If I read the PET correctly, the M030 came with 22 F and 20 R. Has anyone used M030 sways with Bilstein HD+H&R reds? Any feedback?

Since I own a C4 I'm not sure I'm the best person to be giving advice here but if nothing else the RS bars are adjustable (if I recall correctly the rear is 3 way adjustable) so you would have some margin to play around with the setup to reduce oversteer.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early C2 came with 20 mm F and 21 mm R. Later C2 had the rear reduced to 20 mm. AFAIK the M030 option only changed the front bar to a thicker 22 mm bar (the rear bar stayed as it was).

Quick Reply: H&R Sway bars