Sponsored by:

Instrument face replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument face replacement

Is it possible to do a Face Replacement dials on your own, or do I have to let a pro do it. Where do I find original black ones for sales? -Only found white, yellow and other funny colours….
Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Very easy to do it yourself. You basically "unroll" the outside lip of the gauge rings (the part that hooks around the back of the gauge face to keep the ring/glass on) until you can pull the ring and the glass off. Then just pull the needle off with your fingers (even pressure and pull nice and slowly), and you'll see two small flathead screws (take them out), then the face will pull right out. Replace with new and reverse entire procedure. I "rolled" the edges of the trim ring back into place with a metal soup can (think I picked that tip up on here).

As far as where to find them, I think I remember FVD having them. I'm not 100% positive though, because I replaced mine with one of those "funny" colors (red)
Old 08-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Polman
Pro

Many thanks Chase...the search has started. If anyone else wants to give me some tips...feel free, I´d love some pictures!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Polman
Pro

Found it by FVD in Germany. A complete set in black for 515 USD.....wonder if old Rüdiger Föller with his silly haircut comes along and change it for that price?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Bruce Kaiser
Intermediate

Default black gauge faces

Did you find replacement gauge faces? (black?)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 AM
milutintin
Advanced

Let me know if you find them cheaper. I'm also looking for them.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I bought them here for about 50 Euro's/70 USD (excluding shipping) here (yes you are reading the correct pice):

http://www.jeanbuser.com/silver-grey...-p4225-en.html --> they are not in the 964 part of the site anymore. But I think if you e-mail them (like I did for certainty at that time) they will tell you whether they still have them ( I think they make them themselves)

I contacted them (by e-mail) and explained them very clearly I have a 964 Manual. They send me the right kit (these are stickers that go over the transparant plastic after removing the black faces). Since then 2 years on the car. They work great! It is a good idea though to change all the lights in the back of the clocks for some stronger ones, since due to the stickers it could do with some better lighting.

( I even modded the stickers, but that is another story).
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 AM
ronone10
Racer

I too have a gauge that I want to open so I can repair the black material that is lifting. Can you expand on what you mean by 'unroll' the outside lip? Are you saying to spin the rim off counter clockwise like a jar?

Anyone have pictures?

Thanks...

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Very easy to do it yourself. You basically "unroll" the outside lip of the gauge rings (the part that hooks around the back of the gauge face to keep the ring/glass on) until you can pull the ring and the glass off. Then just pull the needle off with your fingers (even pressure and pull nice and slowly), and you'll see two small flathead screws (take them out), then the face will pull right out. Replace with new and reverse entire procedure. I "rolled" the edges of the trim ring back into place with a metal soup can (think I picked that tip up on here).

As far as where to find them, I think I remember FVD having them. I'm not 100% positive though, because I replaced mine with one of those "funny" colors (red)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
rdean
Instructor

Default Gauge Faces

FYI
I have spent about 4 years searching for new/custom gauge faces for my RSA. The original faces had started to delaminate.
So this search takes me to a company in my backyard (Niagara, NY and Canada).
So I now have a new set of custom gauge face, original black background with GREEN lettering, just like retro Porsche gauges and also RUF colors. These new faces go on this weekend, pics to follow.
All the artwork is complete for 964 gauges at http://www.blackcatcustom.com/, if interested email Al at Black Cat.

FYI, I have also called RUF to purchase a set of GREEN on black RUF faces, they quoted me $3200!

Rob
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a pretty good tutorial on opening gauges (for odometer gear replacement) ...can be helpful for those wanting to change instrument faces as well

http://www.odometergears.com/subpage...ian_Smith.html
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
showard1998
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdean
FYI
I have spent about 4 years searching for new/custom gauge faces for my RSA. The original faces had started to delaminate.
So this search takes me to a company in my backyard (Niagara, NY and Canada).
So I now have a new set of custom gauge face, original black background with GREEN lettering, just like retro Porsche gauges and also RUF colors. These new faces go on this weekend, pics to follow.
All the artwork is complete for 964 gauges at http://www.blackcatcustom.com/, if interested email Al at Black Cat.
What did they charge you for the faces? Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 AM
ronone10
Racer

Thanks for the link...

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Here is a pretty good tutorial on opening gauges (for odometer gear replacement) ...can be helpful for those wanting to change instrument faces as well

http://www.odometergears.com/subpage...ian_Smith.html

Quick Reply: Instrument face replacement