Sponsored by:

Project Shrek: ski rack and a road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Details on the roof bars:

they are made by Eckel. Some had a Porsche logo, some the Eckel logo.

The front is a rather standard clamp, tightened by a 6mm allen head screw. The foot has a slight angulation to counter the slope of the gutter at that spot.

The rear is more complicated, with a very extended and angle-corrrected foot, for the rather extreme slope of the roof there. The tightening is via an internally threaded rod and a deadbolt. The bar is also narrower by a few cm to compensate for the narrowing of the roof/back window/engine lid line.

Then there are caps that are spring loaded to cover the bolts and they are in turn themselves lockable with a lock/key combo.

The bar is square section, 35mm sided. the top has a groove into which specially made ss steel threaded squares slip, allowing to tighten whichever fixture you want to fit. There was a bike rack, a ski rack (like in the poster above) a large ski box and a complete frame available. Another type of ski rack extists, which places 3 pairs on each side, diagonally inclined.

There is also an instruction shetl which details the precise position of the bars and their spacing. very thorough those Germans.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
You mentioned understeer and stock shocks...of course new shocks/springs would make a big difference BUT (just curious) would a rear swaybar change also made a difference (on your current set up)? A cheap and simple upgrade until new suspension.
You are correct that a rear sway would be simpler, but the understeer I experienced was on drenched roads. In "normal" use, it is much less intrusive. I plan on reworking the suspension anyway, it being 21 years old and having a rather large mileage. I'd rather change the shocks first, with adjustable Konis (already has shorter Eibach springs), and start from there.

Speaking of future mods, here is a glimpse of the (more distant) future. They are uncanny light:

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Cam Arnott
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not looking very much like summer over there George! I have some relatives from Rodersdorf near the German border coming to visit in a couple of weeks - I think the tropical 34C weather here might shock them a little
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 AM
candela
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good call on the RS's....
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I'm just sitting here jealous of your lack of sunroof.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChaseN
I'm just sitting here jealous of your lack of sunroof.
I can honestly say I would not have bought it if it had a sunroof. Or if it was not a 4.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George, you always find the coolest stuff and make a story out of every one of your posts.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
I can honestly say I would not have bought it if it had a sunroof. Or if it was not a 4.
Well if you ever come out to your car one day, and the roof skin is missing from the A-pillars to about midway down the C-pillars, don't look at me. I couldn't even find Switzerland on a map...honest
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Shrek, for the win.

Quick Reply: Project Shrek: ski rack and a road trip